Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrdwyer

Home Energy Saver Audit

jrdwyer
17 years ago

I went to the Lawrence Berkeley Home Energy Saver site and carefully filled in the all the individual items to audit our 1982 home. Interestingly, they predicted a usage of 21,962 kWh and after adding up our 2005 electric bills we were only at 13,912 kWh. 2005 seemed about average for weather. This is for 2 adults and 2 kids with an all electric heat pump and 2,200 square feet in Southern IN.

Anyone else do this audit and what were the results? I'm curious to see how we compare to other households in our energy use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawrence Berkeley Home Energy Saver Audit

Comments (4)

• prettyphysicslady
    17 years ago

Spookily close, it was off by $20. And we are conservative users of energy.

But we haven't been here long and the older a/c, heat, fridge, and single pane clear glass windows are all hurting us. Each will get replaced with energy efficient models as they break or money allows us to do so.

• jrdwyer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is taken from the Energy Saver Site:

"A conservative estimate of energy consumed by average existing homes is 100 million BTUs per year, at a cost of about $1,280.

The energy consumed by the average new home is about 90 million BTUs for around $1,250. This consumption is driven largely by appliances and gadgets.

Energy Star new homes are designed to save 30% of HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) and hot water. These two end uses typically make up around 60% of the total bill, so the Energy Star new home will save about 20% of the total bill. These homes have no restrictions, or rules about the appliances and gadgets that the owners can bring in, so there are no savings in these areas."

So if you take our 13,912 kWh x 3413 Btu/kWh = 47.5 million BTUs. We do have a lot of Energy Star stuff (heat pump, washing machine, refrigerator) and we do try to shut things off when they are not being used.

From this data and my limited experience, it appears the greatest amount of energy savings in the future will come from CONSERVATION.

• bushleague
    17 years ago

I ran the entire program and found out that I save $248/year with a new gas boiler. My entire gas bill is $248/year. We heat with wood, however there isn't a default built into the program for this.
    Compact flourescents do help, lighting comprising just $20 annually.

I am still trying to figure out why they want me to buy a new fridge. It's a side-by, Ice through the door, Star rated 2005 model which uses 500 kw annually. Hmmm. Coleman cooler?

• miclelee12
    10 years ago

If you wish to solve comfort and ease difficulties as well as decrease your electricity payments, Minnesota Energy Means will help. A power auditor will make an in-home pay a visit to and provide electricity proficiency recommendations to raise your comfort and ease, sturdiness, protection as well as value of your property.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia