Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geothermal and Solar Water Heater?

Posted by mathteacherva (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 14:27

I'd like to make an investment in renewable energy at my 40-year-old split level in McLean, Va. I have added cellulose insulation in the attic, purchased EnergyStar appliances, got rid of the garbage disposal (compost kitchen scraps), use my clothesline almost exclusively, have 100% CF lightbulbs, a Solatube and solar-powered attic fan. I have a gas furnace and hot water heater. I'm thinking of a geothermal heat pump and/or a solar hot water systerm. I don't use a lot of hot water (one person household, cold water laundry, plus I usually shower at the gym), but when I sell my house, it would be good to know that the next family would have the solar system. I understand that the geothermal system will supply all of my hot water in the summer. Would it make sense to have the solar hot water system as well? And if so, would you go with evacuated tubes or flat plate? My roof faces Southwest. (I had thought solar hot water with a radiant floor heating system would be a good idea after seeing similar systems at the Solar Decathalon, but a contractor here said it would be wasteful due to no use for the hot water in the summer.) Thanks so much. I've already learned a lot on this forum from Gary and Bob and others! The IGSHPA website was especially helpful. Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geothermal and Solar Water Heater?

Re: mathteacherva,

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

If you air-conditioned a lot during the summer, geothermal might make sense. On the other hand, if you throw the windows open most of the time you will not benefit from free hot water. As for the next familywho knows?

Geothermal certainly would add value to your home, and could provide free hot water if you air-condition during the summer. It would provide hot water at a reduced price in the winter and you could also have radiant in-floor heating at a reduced cost.

I guess youll have to crunch the numbers. It might be a project of conscience though.
God bless those that go ahead - even when the numbers dont add up. You certainly have my respect.

BTW: I prefer evacuated tubes (but thats not my field of expertise).

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: how-efficient-is-it-magazine.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here