Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyflies

Tax credit for geo thermal now 30% !!!

sunnyflies
15 years ago

The new stimulus plan has just increased the tax credit for geothermal systems to 30%. This means 30% off the unit itself, plus the electric installation costs and the well system. This makes the credit a substantial help to those of us thinking seriously about putting such a system in.

In my case, I am looking at a Weatherfurnace Envision system for about $20,000 with electric hook up costs of $1,500, and a pair of wells for $7,700, so near $30,000. A tax credit of approximately $9,000 would help ease the pain. Not having to pay any more oil bills, priceless!

Our oil bill ran $5,700 this past year and $4,499 the year before. New oil heat and a/c systems estimates for our house are running between $15,000 and $ 20,000, so paying the extra money out to save in the long run seems to make sense. It looks like I would save the difference between an oil system and a geothermal one in two years, then actually pay ourselves back for the remaining cost of the geo system in the next five to seven years. Amazing.

Plus, every well company I have talked to around here (coastal NY) has told me they are putting in literally hundreds of wells for these systems. I had had no idea as all the local heat contractors I have spoken with have tried to discourage me from going in that direction. I believe it is because an engineer is needed to design a geo system or it will not work efficiently, and they are simply traditional heating installation guys. Throw in a unit, connect it to a fossil fuel source and turn it on.

Comments (6)

• countryboymo
    15 years ago

I think that is a tax credit on your taxable income in which you would not have to pay income taxes on that portion of your pay for the year. I don't think its the same as the 30% off sale at Sears. If it is I am going to have to seriously consider going that route. It is one of them 'too good to be true' things.

• duluthjeff
    15 years ago

The stimulus bill has eliminated the $2000 limit on federal tax credits for installing a new geothermal residential systems after January 1 2009. Systems installed in 2008 are subject to a $2000 limit. This is a tax credit (not a deduction)so it amounts to a refund of that same amount from your taxes. See link below.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: geothermal tax credit link

• sunnyflies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It definitely is a tax credit that reduces your tax bill directly. I looked into it. I believe it will stimulate people to go ahead and put in these systems, which in turn will put money into the economy. Win, win situation!

• countryboymo
    15 years ago

If that is the case Sunny I could have a geothermal pit DX system for $7,800.00 and not turn a tap between my utilities rebates and the 30% govt. Original quote was $14,500.00 to do a manual J and fix any other existing duct issues along with insulate my ductwork.

I didn't get a quote for air to air but at this rate I am not sure if I should even bother. I am thinking about a refi and was considering upgrading the system with air to air cause the 14k for GT seemed out of reach.

What would you do?

• livingthedream
    15 years ago

Is there no limit on geothermal, or is it part of the 30%-of-the-first-$5000 limit on other energy-saving home improvements?

• countryboymo
    15 years ago

I don't think there is a limit as long as it is residential from what I am hearing and reading. I am more shocked that it appears to be more of a tax rebate than a credit. You just don't get the money until after your taxes are filed and processed.

Sponsored