Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarvinen_gw

EUROPA 75 pellet stove... Too good to be true?

jarvinen
16 years ago

We are planning on putting a pellet stove in our basement to supplement our propane furnace.

Does anyone have experience with the Europa 75 pellet stove? It received the lowest emissions rating ever by the EPA (0.6 grams per hour) and has an efficiency rating of 86%. It burns corn, wood pellets, wheat, cherry pits, etc. (any bioenergy).

Is it as good as it sounds? I'd like to hear from those that know. Thank you.

Comment (1)

• bikesnrovers_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I know this is three years after the initial post but I am hoping this will help someone in the future.

We put in a Europa 75 two years ago. Our first winter in our 100+ year old farm house we went through $1700 (USD) in LP. Our stove didn't get put in until part way through the heating season the next year, late November, so I don't know if I got an accurate read on how it operated. This year I had 300 gallons (I think that is how the measure LP) delivered in early November and 2 tons of pellets about the same time, we had about 500 lbs from the year before. We heated our house through this very cold winter of 2010 - 2011 exclusively on pellets, accept for the time I forgot to fill the hopper and the furnace kicked on for about two hours one morning. It is now early March and i just had to order another ton of pellets. I won't need that much for the rest of the year but I have plenty of dry storage space. So i figure I will have spent about $500 total in heating this season, and I am erring on the high side. And we still have 30% of LP left.

It does take some maintenance, the stove that is. Cleaning and dumping of the ashes, which are really few. But this is better than a wood stove, fewer ashes, cleaner, no chopping (kinda miss that tho'!) and much more efficient.

All in all I think it was a great investment and buy the end of the next heating season it will have paid for itself in savings over LP. That is two years ahead of what I thought.

Oh, I have never seen any smoke coming from the chimney. I don't know if this is an indication of how well it is preforming but it is nice not to smoke up the farm like some of those outdoor furnaces.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm