Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor discharging sump water into our yard

Posted by wander74 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 2:59

Our neighbor has been battling water in their basement since we moved here. They were pumping water into a dry well to the front of their house. They've decided this isn't working and decided to drain out the back. They installed a perforated pipe running along side of our property line (about 6 ft from the line) and is buried about 18 inches down. It immediately started flooding in our yard. We've asked them to divert the flow and they have refused, saying this was their only option. I haven't been able to talk to anyone at the township office who can help me (we are in southern NJ). Is this even legal? I'd like to not go that route as we do need to live next to each other and our children our friends.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor discharging sump water into our yard

I'm not sure how I posted in this forum, I don't think this is where it belongs but am not sure how to move it.

o

Where does the perforated pipe end drain? Does it drain into the street?

Directing water into your yard is not legal.

You could build a high berm and plant a rose garden. The berm would stop water from flowing into your yard and as far as I know it is legal, part of your landscaping. You could build a retaining wall along the property line. This would stop flow of water into your yard.

o

That is a tough situation. I would look further into the township to do something. Putting something up temporary could help some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here