Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will the presence of solar panels really help cool my house?

Posted by robinwise (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 06 at 23:26

My husband says that the shade from a solar panel installed on a roof will help to cool our (uninsulated) top floor. Is he right?

I think the only thing that the top floor has going for it is that, regardless of the fact that it's there's a lot of western frontage, the room instelf along that western edge is one long room with two windows; there's no wall to contend with for the airflow and I believe that the breeze alone will help to keep it cool by keeping the hot air moving. But only if that door is open!

Loooking forward to your reply,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will the presence of solar panels really help cool my house?

If you've ever been on a roof on a sunny day or in the attic; you'll know it gets awfully hot. Even overcast days it can get pretty unbearable.

Solar panels, or most anything that's not clear for that matter; will help tremendously by simply deflecting or absorbing heat instead of letting it heat your roof up.

I'm a big fan of solar power . . I've got a 2.8 kW sytem installed here . . . but they're an expensive way to keep things cooler. If you wanna do solar ( either PV or heat ) then great; a roof can be a good place to put that stuff; depending upon your climate / snowfall. If you're just trying to keep the place somewhat cooler; blow cellulose in the attic, and put on a metal roof instead of the usual shingles. You'll get more cooling bang for your buck . . . .

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here