Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizona_mike

Drop a vertical ground loop into the water of an existing well?

arizona_mike
15 years ago

I've got some property at 5000 ft in SE Arizona. I'm thinking of building a small cottage there (800-1000 square feet) off the grid. The ground temperature is 60F. I will need a well for water anyway. From nearby well data the water level .27 mile to the SE is at 4748 ft. There is also an artesian well 0.4 miles away at 4750 ft. 0.8 miles in the other direction, the water level is at 4915 ft, but I'll assume 4750 is worst case.

I'm thinking of supplementing the obligatory swamp cooler with an inexpensive direct (no heat pump) geothermal hydronic radiative cooling/dehumidifying system using Edwards valances and a closed-system ground loop dropped down the length of the well (in the water). Assuming a 400 ft well with 150 ft water or a 450 ft well with 200 ft water, how much heat dissipate capacity can I expect from the well water column.

I suspect I can get about a ton of cooling (using a very modest 50 W/hr/ft/ft/F) thermal conduction from the well to the nearby soil assuming a 150 ft water column and a 6" diameter well (230 square feet). If so, why don't I read about ground loops simply dropped down existing wells?

Mike

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio