Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden on the roof

Posted by bobcajun (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 22:14

Hello,

I have an older home, 1935, that has a flat roof. I have often been intriqued by people building gardens on their roofs. What kind of modificaitons would I have to do in order to accomplish this? Is it at all feasible or is it a pipedream? If it matters, I live in a cold climate.
bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden on the roof

Let's see -

1. Will your structure support the weight? Wet soil in planters can get pretty heavy.

2. Will you get sufficient sun for growing things? If the sun is partially blocked by trees/buildings, you may not get enough sun to grow things.

3. Is there adequate drainage (unless you plan on growing cactus)...?

4. How is the area accessed? Do you want to haul planters and soil up a ladder?

5. Where is your water supply coming from? If you can manage some kind of rain barrel, that would be a great source for free water. Just remember, a gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds. The smallest water containers I have are 50-gallons and the largest is 212-gallons. That's a lot of weight! We hand water from water barrels, and I carry two 2-gallon watering cans for much of the watering. I also have a solar-powered drip irrigation system, but I still need to haul water to fill the feeder pot.

Just some things that came to mind....

-Grainlady

o

The roof is fairly easily accessible and I can have water from the house through a hose, I imagine. I could probably also organise the drainage down the gutters, I suppose. There is lots of sun. The real problem seems to be the weight and what you would need to do to support the roof.
thanks for your trouble
bob

o

There are a fair number of green roofs in cold climates. They are more popular in Europe and some areas of Canada. So the project would definitely be doable project. First you will want to contact a architect about the structure and possibly the construction depending on how handy you are.
What were you thinking of growing on the roof?
Most are planted with a hardy sedum. They require water for a year or two to get established but after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here