Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help finding a door

Posted by katy_bug (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 20:39

We had an energy audit done and I am trying to improve on a few things we can do ourselves. One place that was very leaky is the door from the house to the storm cellar. The previous owner installed a regular interior hollow door even though the door leads to a space that is vented to the crawlspace.

Where do I look for a solid or insulated door that looks like an interior door. At Lowes, all I can find are hollow doors or exterior doors that are sold with the frame and everything.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help finding a door

Have you checked a salvage/reuse center? Most older wood doors are solid.

However, "leaky" really doesn't have much to do with whether the door is hollow or not. Leaky means airs is getting in around the perimeter of the door. You can probably fix that with a sweep at the bottom and weather stripping on the sides and top.

o

That is true and we have done the weatherstripping and door sweep. I just assumed that a hollow door would not be a good option for an outside door. I found a salvage place around here . . . I just have to be willing to sort through stacks and stacks of doors to find the right size. It is not a very organized place!

o

I didn't mean to imply a hollow interior door was appropriate. I just wanted to make sure you were doing the things that would have the biggest impact. A solid door with a gap at the bottom is going to let out way more heat than a hollow door that is properly sealed. Obviously, the best option is to have an exterior quality door that is properly sealed.

o

If the weatherstripping is done and the door needs some insulation, consider some flat insulation on the back side where you won't see it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here