Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blown cellulose - install without machine??

Posted by razl (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 08 at 20:05

I installed blown in cellulose in my attic using the free machine rental from HD. However, I'm estimating that I'm about 4-5 bags short.

Is there any way to "fluff" this stuff up without have to lug that heavy machine back in the attic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blown cellulose - install without machine??

Hi,
I think you probably need the blower to break up the cellulose.

While I'm not a fan of fiberglass insulation, I suppose you might finish up the small part that is left with FG bats?

Or, you could get more cellulose than you need, and just add more insulation to areas that are already "done" to make it worthwhile getting the blower?

Gary

o

lug the heavy machine inthe attic? you did it the hard way. you leave the machine onthe ground and run the hose into the attic! person onteh ground feeds, you blow.

you could do it by hand, but it would take forever. just pull a few handfulls out and toss them wher eyou need them.

o

Well, to be truthfull, I had my brother with me when we installed it. It was easy enough for the 2 of us to bring it up the attic pull-down stairs. I wanted to be able to see him so we could visually communicate.

Anyways, by hand is a little difficult. It comes in compressed and you have to break it up and fluff it. Kinda like the way peat moss is sold in plastic "bricks" but much much denser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here