Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pellet stove

Posted by ferricoxide (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 18:00

I'm looking to supplement my air source heat pump with a pellet stove. I am a new homeowner (and new to this site) and here in western Virginia the heat pump struggles to maintain the house (about 2100 sq ft with 16 ft ceiling in great room) at 65 degrees without use of the auxiliary heat on these days when the outside temperatures dip into the 20s or lower.

Hence, I'd like to get an inexpensive pellet stove to use on the coldest days (not continuously as on milder days the heat pump works just fine). Any recommendations for a pellet stove for occasional zone heating or supplementing the heat pump? Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pellet stove

i used to work at bixby. out of business now. too bad. our stoves were finally dialed in and working great when we went belly up. a pellet stove is fine for heat but it must be tended. how does it startup? manually or with some assistance by the owner? do you want it to run unattended or just till the fuel is gone? our stoves used double wall pipe so it brought in fresh air for combustion. no need for a fuel line such as NG or propane. i have a NG fireplace in my lower level. it heats the area fine. no mess also.

o
RE: pellet stove

Perhaps you can also check the Fireplaces topic in the Home Forum.....I saw some discussions concerning pellet stoves that may be of interest to you. It also allows you to search pellet stoves within the forum so you can capture all pellet stove discussions. Hope this may help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here