Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knick2015

T.E.D. The Energy Detective

knick
15 years ago

Anyone have one and care to get a discussion going on what you have found. + or -, tips, Etc

I have just started using mine and just learning how to use it.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• greif
    15 years ago

don't have one but for data logging does it need to hooked to a running computer all the time or does it store the data?

• knick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does store some Data like avg for day, mth. High for day, mth Etc. If you want to chart your usage by the min in a graph form it needs to be hooked to a running computer. Which kinda sucks but I will get over it. I have it hooked just to my electric hot water heater (just on that circuit) for about 5 days trying to get a pattern of its usage. It kind cool to see how your different appliances use energy. does make you aware of things that you may not have known about. One thing I was really surprised by CFL low usage compared to incandescent.

• razl
    15 years ago

I have had one for about 2 years. Mine is the previous generation without the logging capability. Mine is hooked up to the panel so I can see full electric usage.

I found it useful with my geothermal units. I was able to determine that I saved no money by setting my programmable thermostats back during the day while at work and in evening. Keeping it at 68-72 was what worked best.

I was also able to find that I had about 200 watts of cummulative phantom loads throught the house which I reduced below 100 watts.

It was great knowing what my electric Month to date and "projected" bill was. It was extremely accurate.

Rather than toggle thru the preset energy/cost fields, it would be nice to have some customizable buttons. I have a Scangage for the car that allows me to set up to 4 data displays of my choosing. With the TED, I find myself having to toggle thru the menus to find each data display I want. Not a big deal. It is still worth every penny.

• knick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Razl

Is your geothermal unit only use electric for power? In my findings it has always been cheaper to set back at night or when gone no matter what the heating source.

I too was able to get my phantom loads to 70 watts. I did find the other day when I was in our crawl space our sump pump running and not sure how long it had been that way. The line outside was froze. So now before we leave or go to bed I check and see whats running if anything and try and decided if something got left on. Pretty sad when I preach conservation and my sump pump is running 24/7. :)

• razl
    15 years ago

My understanding is that most homes have oversized heating units (furnace, boiler, heatpump, etc) so heat can be increased quickly when called for. The downside is that you use more energy than needed to heat your home. This inherent design is a perfect situation for a setback thermostat.

My geothermal heatpumps where sized based on my geographic heating load. So while it takes longer for me to recover from a temperature setback, I benefit from a much more efficient "undersized" design.

My geothermal is electric only, but like all heat pumps, it has an electric resistance heatstrip backup. In heatpump mode it is very efficient (about 350%), but if the thermostat doesn't see a rise in temperature for a long period of time, it turns on the backup which draws a lot of electricity to make heat.

Nice catch on the sump pump. This is where the TED comes in handy. You'll immediately be able to spot that something is not right.

• knick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well TED did not help find the sump pump running, as I had TED hooked up on my hot water heater circuit (only) at the time.

As I was graphing its usage and its little easier to graph if only looking at one circuit. I am still playing and learning about it (the TED). I have put it back on the whole house after finding the sump pump, I now look at night when I know everything is off to see if were at our .07 KWH norm.

Thanks for the follow up on your Geothermal,I really like learning about all the different ways of doing things nowadays.

Knick

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH