Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out these SIP prices! $12-14 sq. ft.!

Posted by Geraldo (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 12:31

No studs - No Trusses - No Attic
No attic ventilation or moisture to deal with. Wiring conduits in place.
Of course that is the price for just the shell, but still...
Be sure to click on "Home Plans" and then "Cost Effective Home Building Plans"
These look real good, but I am not sure if they require a center beam and supporting posts. I think most do if they are over a certain size.
http://abc.eznettools.net/D303024/X336500/TSHSipPackages.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out these SIP prices! $12-14 sq. ft.!

I was just going to reply to your earlier post in another thread about these, but it seems you've allready found the answers. Actually, you found something I've been trying to find for some time, which is estimated prices. They will be different to the UK prices, but it gives me an initial indication, and I like the sound of <$15 a sq. foot.

Most the systems I've seen don't require roof framing or supporting joists, but large spans will require bracing. Of course, design it well and you should be able to entirely avoid this expense.

One of the many potential places to save money (regardless of material used) is to build the house entirely square. This encloses the maximum internal sq. foot with the least external sq. footage of any shape. This means less SIPs, less siding/cladding and also less external surface to loose heat from.

Also, the lower the pitch of the roof, the less SIPs and roofing material will be needed. Of course, you don't want it too low as things like water damage and heavy snow loads in some climates can be a concern, and often roofing materials have a pitch they shouldn't be installed below. I actually want to use a totally flat roof as it's clearly the most economical route for me.

The products I'm looking at right now are:

http://www.tek.kingspan.com/

o

Hmmmm....how much is that per square foot of SIP? That's what I think of in terms of costs, because that's how I buy them. I'll check out the site.

o

Hey, Geraldo, I can't find that website! Help, is it still around? Thanks

o

I just came from there and here is the URL:

http://abc.eznettools.net/D303024/X336500/TSHSipPackages.html

Just hilite and copy and paste into your address bar.

o

In south Alabama, I am going to build an insulated concrete form home, and the quotes for the ICF walls, materials, installation and all, was $11.00 per square foot of wall area. I considered Insulspan SIPS for the roof, but the price was much higher than engineered wood trusses. I am building a large overgrown ranch home, 51' by 114', with inset front and rear porches under one large hip roof with no internal load bearing walls. The trusses are designed to withstand 200 MPH winds. (hurricanes with tornadoes) The concrete walls carry the lions share of the load, with a small load on the steel porch columns. The SIPS salesman told me that I would have to have some beams and columns in the home to support the roof. I do not remember if we even adressed the wind load requirements. There are also downsides to not having an attic for ductwork and such.

o

vinewood;
Different people want and expect different things from their buildings. That is a very good price for ICF construction. I looked into that years ago and the prices I found were much higher than $11 per square foot of wall area. For the small 1200 sq. foot house that I want to build that would only be about $12,300 for the wall area. (40+40+30+30)x 8 ft and then times the $11. Still have to account for the roof, but it is very close. The SIP price is about $15 per sq. foot on that small of a house. 1200 sq. ft. multiplied by the $15 would total to $18,000 so it would give me about $6000 to apply to the roof for the cost of these two methods to compare.
I don't need to worry about the duct work in my project, but I can understand that others would have other considerations.
You might have a little higher price per sq foot if doing a smaller house, but the main consideration here is that we are a long way from the $110 per sq. ft. that people are quoted for new constuction around here. Even if you add foundation,carpet, etc.
What price are you having to pay for the roof alone? What brand of ICF are you using? What I like about ICF is how quiet it is in the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here