Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermal mass in living room using planter box for water storage

Posted by gardurnit (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 10:17

THERMAL MASS in 1912 home? Planter with water base? Other?

My though is to do what I did when I was 24 years old with a water bed in a 1900's house. I got under the house
and with 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 " beams put 4 or more under the structure to be sure to keep it , the house and floor , sturdy
for holding a king size waterbed. It worked and in fact it worked even to hold 5 columns of bricks 4' high stacked
under the bed.

Well now I intend to do similar using a planter with water in the base for thermal mass. A central planter about
2 feet wide and 6 to 8 feet long will have about 200 to 300 gallons of water in the base and will be a part of
thermal mass for my living room. My concerns are many.

Leakage and other damage is not want I want to experience.

But assuming everything is done delicately and with forethought it should be safe. But will it be effective?

This is where I need some help.

I've considered using a radiator to move water from the storage , to the room air, back to storage in order to
quickly move heat or cool to the mass. Otherwise I have no 'great' ideas.

This is where I welcome you who know how to calculate the value of the mass in the room. . If I Can gain
10 degrees for 1200 lbs of water that will be 12,000 BTU. I don't know whether this is significant since
it will be released over time, unless I use the radiator to move heat out quickly.

Now you know the gist of it all. Let's hear what you think. Please, remember this is only a brainstorming session
not a NAtional Guard Drill or United Nations invasion. Thanks for your gentle comments.

Andre

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermal mass in living room using planter box for water stora

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of thermal mass as it relates to home heating. Just plopping something big in the living room isn't going to do much. What you need is a large mass and a way to passively heat that mass with energy that wouldn't normally be in the room. You don't gain any energy just by using your existing heat to warm up a big tank of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here