Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Looking for referrals/feedback on blown in cellulose insulation

dreamojean
10 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for New York City area companies that can blow in dry cellulose insulation in a cockloft, and seal holes and install vents in the roof etc. And for you locals, I'm looking for feedback on JC Home Care Center Corp. based in Farmingdale Long Island, my front runner contractor.

After moving from the first/second floors of our old brownstone to the second/third floors, we are so cold on the top floor (bedrooms and home offices, both self-employed) so much of the time. A friend showed us two panels in our hallway where the ladder to the roof hatch is, and opened the panels and it was like an open window, no insulation, and the hallway and near the windows is so cold in the winter and so hot in the summer. We are just keeping the second floor thermostat higher so the steam heat makes it to the top floor, but the temperature difference between the floors is easily 5 degrees or so. So we are toying with moving the thermostat to the top floor and insulating the cockloft. JC Home quoted us around $2 thousand which seems reasonable but I would prefer to hear from others who have used them or others and know how it went.

I'd think that whoever does the installation really will need to seal the panels in the hallway so that cellulose dust doesn't escape, but would love suggestions as to how people have dealt with that.

(we have batt denim/cotton and other ceiling insulation but there is clearly plenty of drafty uninsulated cockloft space so need to fix this in 2014 somehow)

Thanks for any referrals and/or suggestions.

Comment (1)

Sponsored