Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
magnetic weatherstripping for steel frames steel door

Posted by rileysmom17 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 9:29

I have industrial-sized double doors in my basement which are steel with steel framing - they are The DraftMasters! The tolerance on the frame is such that NONE of the standard foam or rubber weatherstripping works because I can't get the doors shut. I do not want to drill into the exterior metal to apply those strips with the rubber bumper. Has anyone heard of real magnetic weather-stripping? There is some stuff in Lowe's called 'magnetic weather strip' but it comes with screws and screw slots and seems to be made of aluminum. I am looking for something that sticks like a refrigerator magnet, or a clever way to convert standard exterior weatherstripping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: magnetic weatherstripping for steel frames steel door

I've used some stuff that looks like very thin plastic strip with self-adhesive . . believe it's called something like "V-seal" made perhaps by 3-M. It's a continuous strip which you cut to length and then fold in half; and stick to the door frame. It forms a V between the door itself, and the frame. While it does not insulate like foams do; it certainly stops drafts quite well if properly applied. The adhesive may not work real well in the cold. I'd also let the stuff come to room temp and straighten out before I attempted to put it on. It collapses to practically nothing when you close the door; unlike foams and such which take up pretty much a certain amount of space no matter what. I'd like to avoid drilling too on that door or frame . . . . I think most of your typical home supply chain stores will carry something like that . . . cheap too.

Bob

o

Have you looked at the magnetic weatherstripping at http://www.mdteam.com ? I live in a condo with poor fitting doors. We just tested it out and it worked great. I'm planning on installing some myself. No screws, just magnetic side that attaches to the metal door and a flexible gasket that seals the crack between door and jamb. www.hardwareandtools.com sells it in packs of 2 for $30.00. Worth checking out.

o

Did you ever find magnetic weatherstripping? I also have commercial steel doors and need weatherstripping. I followed the links posted by jennifer, but once at the web site I couldn't find any magnetic weatherstripping. I am in an underground dome house that is supposed to be air tight, but I haven't been able to find weatherstripping that will work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here