Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will desuperheater lessen the size of hot water tank needed?

Posted by fish7577 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 7:42

I'm installing a geothermal system with 2 units (one 3 ton with desuperheater, water to air, and water to water capability; the other a 2 ton water to air). Since the desuperheater will help with pre-heated water into a storage tank, will it noticeably improve my supply of hot water? We're building a 3300 sq foot home with 2 adults, 3 children. There are 3 1/2 bathrooms. The regular water heater will be a gas powervent tank unit. Is 50 gallon adequate?
My storage tank is actually a new 40gallon electric water heater, but we didn't plan to connect the electric. If I find myself without enough hot water, could I set the electric "holding tank" at a low temp?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will desuperheater lessen the size of hot water tank needed?

You should find that you will have more hot water capacity with a desuperheater and a buffer tank for any given active tank size. The buffer should be 40 gallon and never be active. I would recommend 60-gallon for the active tank. I would also recommend that a desuperheater from each geothermal unit feed the buffer tank.

In your case, where the active tank would be gas heated, you also would have the option of, instead, installing an 'On-Demand' gas DHW system fed by the desuperheater(s) & buffer tank.

SR

o
RE: Will desuperheater lessen the size of hot water tank needed?

Check out www.geoexchange.org and www.greenbuildingtalk.com to learn more and get more answers.

I have a 50 gal buffer and an 80 gal domestic hot water heater. The buffer simply recieves the extra heat from the DSH and passes the warmed water on to the heater to be raised the rest of the way. It is not on ordinarily, but it can be turned on should I ever need a lot of extra hot water, such as when we have a lot of guests during the holidays or summer weekends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here