Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

transfer for hand embroidery

Posted by OhioJudy (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 04 at 16:39

Ok, I'm feeling very stupid. Transfers for hand embroidery used to be "iron on". Now I bought a Santa and I need a light box or window, but what do I trace it with?? I tried a colored pencil and it didn't trace dark enough. I don't want my lines to show when I finish. Back in the "olden days" you used to just iron it on, grumble grumble. Help

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: transfer for hand embroidery

Seems to me I'd try tracing paper (such as you would for sewing darts on clothes)and a stylist or a pencil. The tracing paper does wash out. Give it a try.
Happy Holidays

RE: transfer for hand embroidery

I love to embroider the "old fashioned way" by hand instead of by machine. Actually my machine is old fashioned too and only does limited embroidery. I am trying to find a celestial or metaphysical set of transfers that can be put on velvet so they can't be iron on transfers, but after searching for over 18 months and being artistically challenged myself (so I can't draw them) I have been unable to find anything. Does someone have a suggestion as to where they can be found? This is to be a centerpiece for a comforter so it needs to be a fairly large design.

RE: transfer for hand embroidery

I don't know a lot about hand emroidery but have you tried finding something close to what you want. Printing it out(or copying it). You could even take it to a print shop and have it blown up. Then just trace it on to tracing paper.

RE: transfer for hand embroidery

There are water soluable pens you can buy, they are in the embroidery dept or more likely the quilting area, they are fine tipped and come in aqua or purple, trace your patter with the lightbox or window method onto your fabric, then when you finish your project the lines wipe away with a damp cloth...I think that is what you were asking about? hope so. Janet

RE: transfer for hand embroidery

In the embroidery dept like Walmart, they have special pencils for this. You trace over the pattern with the pencil and tissue paper, then you can iron it on. I believe it is even called a transfer pencil. I have often used them. Good luck.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here