Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Some Guidance Please

Posted by DeSotoSteve (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 04 at 14:27

I'll start by saying that I am totally clueless when it comes to sewing or sewing machines. I'm hoping you kind folks will be willing to point me in the right direction.

My wife has been hinting that she'd like a sewing/embroidering machine. She has a birthday on 12/30 and I was thinking this might be a nice gift idea. She has a basic sewing machine that she has used for over 15 years but it does not embroider. She uses it only occassionally so it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on a top-of-the-line machine. I'd like to keep it under $1,000.

I've done some research on the web and I guess I keep coming back to the Singer CE-200. I understand that a few people have had some problems with the computer interface but I'm not too concerned about that (I'm a computer engineer so I'm pretty sure I can get it working as long as it isn't defective). Before I take the plunge and buy one of these, I thought I'd ask your opinions. Is the CE-200 about the best I can do for $900 or should I be giving serious consideration to something else.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Some Guidance Please

I heard it was a good machine? Are you buying it from a dealer in your area? Also If you aren't check out ebay they had some on there!Also check the forum here there has been good feedback on it.

o
Singer Ce-200

Here are comments from this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer CE-200. comments

o

I'm getting a Janome 300E after the holidays, its on layaway til I sell my Husqvarna Iris. The Janome runs $1000 and is embroidery only. The thing I like about it is it runs by compact flash card and adapter. My new computer has built in slots for 9 different memory cards and one is for compact flash. Also the Janome has 5 x 7 hoop where my Iris is 4 x 4. If your wife already has a sewing machine you may want to consider the Janome embroidery only. After starting embroidery in July, I've moved along so fast with it that now I favor the idea of two separate machines as I can be sewing on one while the other is embroidering. I also like getting a bigger embroidery field.

o

Steve, my advice would be to make sure there is a dealer nearby who can help with classes and correcting problems that may occur. I bought my sewing/embroidery machine at a show (a deal I couldn't pass up), then discovered the nearest dealer is about an hour away. I would love to take the classes they offer, but I don't want to spend an entire Saturday driving all the way over there for a 2 hour class and all the way back! Plus, the dealer can answer questions and keep you up to date on upgrades and things like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here