Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritakk

Embroidering on Denim

ritakk
18 years ago

I received a Disney Brother 270D embroidery/sewing machine a couple of months ago. My question is...I'm wanting to embroidery stuff on a jean jacket and I need to know if there is any special instructions before I attempt this or ruin my jacket. I have cut-away and tear away, do I use this on denim? I also have the top stuff that disolves (sorry forgot what it was called). Or can I just hoop my denim shirt and go for it without any worries? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Comments (6)

• spikey01
    18 years ago

I suggest that you test on a scrap piece of fabric if you have not embroidered on it before. You shouldn't need any stabilizer on the top. You should be able to use any stabilizer on the bottom as long as the denim does not stretch. I would use a stronger embroidery needle since denim is thick.

• ritakk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! I did some sewing on my denim shirt and it turned out just fine. But I can't understand why my patterns come out fine when I do the test. And my final product is always not so perfect. I can't figure it out unless it's the machine or something.
    Hum..Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it, I know it's not the most expensive machine out there, but thought at least my final ones would have turned out exactly like my tested ones, but doesn't.

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

Denim can be tricky because it does stretch whether it is "stretch" denim or not. Don't most of your denim things get bigger the longer you wear them? Every denim has a mind of it's own. If you are embroidering on a purchased item, no scrap you have on hand to use for a test will be the same. I iron a stabilizer on my denim plus use another underneath. I use a lot of the nylon tricot iron on. If my item will stretch both ways, I use a double layer...putting the main stretch of the tricot in opposite directions for each layer.

I have a great niece in 1st grade. She told my daughter she needed to put the fabric over the back of her designs like I did to keep them from scratching. My daughter had no idea what she was talking about. They came by the house for something & she was in the sewing room & picked up a piece & showed her. I put it over the bottom side of the stitching on things that will be worn right against her body. It seals off the other stabilizers & threads & makes a nice smooth finish. You can by it in stabilizers or in the interfacing section. It is great to keep knits from stretching during embroidery & doesn't show through on whites or light colors. You can get it in black, white & I think beige too.

• maryanntx
    18 years ago

Rita, I've learned to always stitch my practice designs on the same type material that the finished design with be on.

Uh Joan, my denim doesn't stretch, it shrinks! I know my jeans get tighter everytime I wash them! It's not me - gotta be the dryer! LOL

• ritakk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I've added more to my denim shirt and I'm rather dissapointed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I bought and downloaded a set of fonts from AnntheGran, and I tested on denim. It looked great! But again when I'm stitching on my shirt things do not add up. The particular font had an outline around each letter, which I liked because it would stand out better (I thought), but the outline did not work out exactly like it was suppose too. I wish someone had a miracle cure for this.... I was wondering if the tension, or the moveable arm needs adjusting (if it can be). I notice some rough sewing in some places and acts like it's skipping. Help please..

• lcbear
    17 years ago

Hi
    I know that doing a design and then having it turn out not as you would like is a real disappointment. Ask me how I know....lol. Are you hooping???? Is the Denim that your using for sample design the same as the shirt. It may be a thinner material, or heavier, that means alot. If the outline is off, that means that the shirt moved inside the hoop, how. who knows, sometimes it's the movement of the machine, the hoop may have been bumped. There are so many reasons, but don't give up, it takes time an alot of practice. Wait until you try to tackle digitizing, and you will, this hobby is additive. I just got the PR 600II for Christmas, and I've been doing machine embroidery for 7 years, and now I have to learn the tricks of this machine. It's all a learning process - hang in there.
    Lori

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida