Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
towels

Posted by amyjackson (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 7, 06 at 11:26

I am doing some terry towels for a friend. I need to know what is the best for the stabalizers for them. I have regular cut away stabilizer, and adhesive spray, and also the topper that "melts" away and is like saran wrap. Will this work, or is something else better? I know to hoop the stabilizer, NOT the towel, but is that all I need to know?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: towels

I use the water soluable stabiliser top and bottom so that there is no visible stabiliser left after embroidery. Works for me every time.

o

I use trick film a twin to clear n melt. It shows no stabilizer on back.

o

A water soluble on top and bottom should work well.

Generally I use a tear-away on the back, and a thin solvy on the top.

The other "secret" is to use organza. This works especially well if you have more detail in the design -- or at least "detailed edges" to the design. Layer 1)Towel 2)Solvy 3)Organza -- that way when you trim the organza away, you're not fighting your scissors with the towel/terry loops.

The organza keeps all the fine detail of your design around the edges from getting buried. When you're done stitching the design, trim the organza away about 1/8 to 1/4" from the edge of the design. Organza comes in colors, but it basically "disappears" in the towel, so any color even close works well.

It makes a huge difference in your finished design. Even fairly small lettering comes out fine on towels!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here