Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_adams8725

separate forum for hand embroidery?

Molly Adams
10 years ago

anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine embroidery is a totally different subject. i don't do machine embroidery and would like a forum that actually addresses what i do! just a thought...

Comments (18)

• MiMi
    10 years ago

I would like that also....

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey db, good to see there's someone out there. what kind of embroidery do you do? i like redwork and simple embroidery in homey type motifs.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Right now I am working on some t towels for my granddaughter... I know people don't use them now days like they used to but thought maybe some day they would bring back some good memories of me for her. I am doing the 7 days a week of a kitten pattern and making the kittens a dark orange, the same color as her orange tabby cat. My Granny got me started embroidering when I was about 13, she made t towels out of flour sack, stamped the patterns on. I remember having the best time embroidering with her and how proud I was of them. I still have them. I go back and forth between embroidery and crocheting with thread, making more things that people don't use anymore... lol...

• cateyanne
    9 years ago

did a separate hand embroidery forum ever get established? I don't see one.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

You might contact GardenWeb via the link at the bottom of the page (in the gray area, second column, "Contact Us") & ask for such a forum.

or maybe they could sort of subdivide this forum;
    when I cllicked on it, I was surprised to see that it was all about machine embroidery.

I too learned embroidery when I was a teen, & I still like the old patterns-
    days of the week
    Sunbonnet Sue
    bluebirds
    baskets

etc.

Best luck!

• GrannieAnnie_MO
    9 years ago

I love the old, stamped patterns - can't do the tiny cross stitch that are pre-stamped, etc. I have several vintage patterns and tons of thread. Would anyone be interested in trading patterns and/or thread?

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Surprised too it's just machine emb
    Maybe crossstitch forum?
    That's emb.

• lola8325 zone5KS
    9 years ago

It would be nice if there was a "Hand Sewing" or "Hand Stitching" or "Hand Embroidery" forum. (Or "Sewing by Hand", "Stitching by hand" or "Embroidery by Hand" or.... )

I've hand embellished allot of crazy quilt patch seams and patches with some fancy embroidery combination stitches. I find stitching by hand to be very enjoyable and relaxing and addictive.

Some of the folks on the quilting forum hand stitch their quilts.

Maybe we could always say "Hand Embroidery _____ " when we have something to say or need advice.

Lola

• Liz Gallardo
    8 years ago

I just found this part of the forums! I will be checking back in, as I do hand embroidery. I've done red work, black work, and far more intricate patterns, since I was a little girl. Crazy quilting is fun, but I love the building pictures aspect of embroidery. It seems to be a dying art, which is a shame.

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

I do counted cross stitch, but I also do hand embroidery, usually stamped pillowcases. Since we use 4 pillows there is practical use for extra pairs. I learned from my grandmother when I was maybe 7 years old. I also do hand sewing of clothes, but even I am unsure why. I just love sewing handwork.

• Alyssa C
    6 years ago

I'm another hand embroiderer, feeling like a separate forum would be nice. Until then, the idea of tagging our posts with some version of "Hand" seems like a good workaround.

I learned my first stitches from my mom, and have continued learning from blogs and YouTube videos. I like getting designs from coloring books... the recent adult coloring craze has produced some beautiful patterns!

• Liz Gallardo
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have not tried those for patterns yet, but I have a collection of them that I buy with that in mind! My stitching has been nonexistent for a year or so due to carpal tunnel. I am planning surgery in the future so I can get back to it. I miss it

I think that is a good work around for now!

• lola8325 zone5KS
    6 years ago

Hand Embroidery

This link has names and instructions for a large number of hand embroidery stitches. Mary Corbet's Needle n Thread site is always full of inspiration!

https://www.needlenthread.com/videos#Embroidery-Stitches-A-Z

• lola8325 zone5KS
    6 years ago

Hand Embroidery

link is a book review of hand embroidered cats that LOOK REAL!!

https://www.needlenthread.com/2017/07/embroidered-cats-hirokos-style-book-review.html

• lola8325 zone5KS
    6 years ago

Hand Embroidery link to tips and techniques.

https://www.needlenthread.com/tips-techniques

• lola8325 zone5KS
    6 years ago

Hand Embroidery. Another inspiring embroidery stitching source is google searching for images of crazy quilt blocks and crazy quilt hexagons. also pintrest.com