Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Singer Quantum XL 5000 or XL 6000

redpenny
19 years ago

I have been looking around at different sewing and embroidery machines and I fell in love with this sewing and embroidery machine.It does EVERYTHING! Does anyone have either one of these and do you like it? Right now I have a brother pe-150 very basic machine which I am not to fond of!

It was okay to use as a learning tool but very limited in hoop size! Would appreciate any feedback on it!

Comments (7)

• msmeow
    19 years ago

Hi, Redpenny - I have the Brother 8500, and I used a Singer 5000 at a workshop last spring. Right away I noticed that the on-screen help on the Singer consisted mainly of pictures, which are fine if you can figure out what they mean. The Brother has text to tell you how to fix problems, and advice on how to sew things. Another thing I noticed on the 5000 was that the light was nice and bright in a halo around the needle area, but where the needle is was poorly lit. I understand from someone who has the 6000 that the lighting problem was corrected.

On the positive side, that automatic bobbin winding is pretty darn cool, and the fact that you can have 2 thread colors loaded and change them easily was great, too. If you can get the continuous hoop with the deal, go for it! That was SOOOO great...you fill the hoop with stitching, flip the latch, slide the fabric into position, and stitch some more. It also was very smart as far as being able to line up a design even if you have gotten the fabric hooped crooked.

All in all, the 5000 seemed like a great machine, so I'm sure the 6000 is, too!

• redpenny
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your imput msmeow, I always like to hear from someone who has used the machine and yes the 6000 is updated.

• lasmt
    18 years ago

Did you get the XL-6000? I just did...and it's not tuitive....remote area of heaven in Rocky Mountain Forest area so compromise is NO DEALERS for hundreds of miles! I've downloaded the tutorial from Singer site. Neighbor insists I teach her at same time I'm learning but she left for NC for a few months so will put the push me pull me program aside for now. Purchased PE-6 plus a tutorial for it and converter programs to convert digitized art work of my own into XXX format needed for singer. But still haven't so far sewn a single stitch on the embroidery side of this machine. Any hints of encouragement is welcomed. I hope you are moving along by now:)))) The machine makes my POEM of the mid-90's look very rustic and light weight indeed. But it was intuitive and easy to write out cute sayings. I don't want to be tethered to a computer any more. I do graphics and a lot of computer work and sewing and office space do not play well together. Thanks, las

• Whitetigers
    18 years ago

The embroidery side of this machine does beautiful work
    I'm in the same boat living in rural area and no else HAs a machine for miles............. trying to figure everything out the designs are great and the endless bobbin works great to took me couple times of trying to figure it out had to walk away from it for awhile then I figured it out.
    I'm having problems with heavy material like towels & blankets in the hoops any ideas. everything else I've tried works great
    I'm not doing something right
    You'll Love this machine too just need some help on learning how to use some of the features and the hoops
    this is my first machine and had always worked by hand so I love it
    thanks bigcats

• amber_tindale
    8 years ago

What is your bottom line you'd accept on your quantum?

• amber_tindale
    8 years ago

Just saw the date! Sorry!

Sponsored