Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Janome 11000 vs Husqvara Viking Designer SE

Posted by Cora_Lea (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 0:49

I'm looking right now and can't decide between the Janome 11000 and the Husqvarna Viking Designer SE.

Both are expensive so I really want the best if I am going to be spending the money.

The Viking has more built-in stitches, but the Janome has a larger bed and more height room for sewing. Both have good lighting. The embroidery arm swings out of the way to the back of the machine while the Viking has to be removed if you want it totally out of the way. The Janome is heavier (more steel) than the Viking, too - which could mean more durability. From what I read, it sounds like the Janome is more state of the art.

Janome can be repaired, if necessary, locally, where the Viking has to be sent off. I REALLY want the extra stitches, but wonder if its worth losing the working space to get them.

I've tried both machines and they both have pros and cons, so I could use advice from any of you who may have experience with either machine or dealing with the companies.

Decisions. Decisions.

Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Janome 11000 vs Husqvara Viking Designer SE

I am a Viking fan and have the Des-1 and I kept my 1+-didn't trade it in because I had so many $$'s tied up in embroidery cards.
My first 'fancy' machine was a Janome MemoryCraft 7500 about 15 yrs ago which I also kept. That one has about 144 built in stitches and I keep that one set up with a walking foot (one of these days I will finish some projects!).
I haven't seen the Janome model that you are looking at so I can't comment on that-just that I am very happy with my DES1.

Pat

o

Also forgot to add that I don't send my Viking off to be cleaned or serviced-but through the dealer it goes to an Authorized service person who picks up and delivers back to the dealer.

Pat

o

Thanks for your input, Pat. You are fortunate to have someone local who picks up and repairs for Viking. If I were to get the Viking, it would have to be sent to Ohio for cleaning, repairs, etc.

I was recently told Janome has software -"Customizer" - which would allow me to make not only my own embroidery designs, but also my own stitches, and to resize them as well. If that's the case, the gap is narrowing. I do a lot of graphic design, so that actually sounds rather fun to me. I can create all the stitches I want, if that is the case and could actually outdo the count with the Viking. :-) It supposedly has auto digitizing.

I think both are good machines. My current Janome is over 25 years old and works like a charm - has NEVER had to be repaired and it has performed well for me. I will keep it, but would like to have something with more stitch options and embroidery.

o

I have been trying to decide which one to get as well, and I discovered that some people HATE the customerizer software that janome has. The new 4D software viking has out is supposedly more user friendly and can do more things. I like that the viking recalculates the number of stitches needed when you resize designs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here