Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner

redpenny
16 years ago

Does anyone have a Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner and if so could you give me some information on it.. Is this like a reader writer box or different.Also would this work with a brother PE-150?

Thanks

Comments (64)

• dancingirl_gw
    9 years ago

Tina, you need to know before buying that the PE v4 will only install in XP or earlier systems, and in Vista or Win7 with 32bit processor. The newer OS's (Win8-9) and most newer computers have 64bit processor. It's a bummer for all of us who pd hundreds and thousands--we now have to buy software for the newer systems. I have my v4, also v2, v1, and of course my v5 which is still working on 2 old laptops.

• Tina Hoffer
    9 years ago

Well that sucks, my computer is windows 7 64 bit. I cant afford the newer stuff so I guess I will have to keep relying on buying patterns from other people. Thank you for letting me know.

• dancingirl_gw
    9 years ago

miss Tina, I'm sorry. I made a comment re PE Design version 4 cord--and what I said above holds true for the older versions. I notice now that you asked about PE Next in your post. I believe Next might work for you..you can look up the requirements for installing on your computer. And if you have Win7-professional, you can D/L WinXP and install in your computer in virtual mode. So you can run older software in XP without going on line. You can use the 7 side for your internet stuff.

• Harmony Olsen
    8 years ago

Dancingirl_gw. Can you help i have the exaxt same pe_design as you have on one of your walls.,..I see you found a cord that would fit ....i did find a place on my computer that it plugs into. But that usb cord you found for it would be so much better! I have to buy a external. Floppy DISKETTE drive for it (i just bought off ebay yesterday for 70.00) Now i have to buy everything for it to work....

Ok two questions.

Whats the name of the. Usb cord you found for it?....does Windows 2007 work with it ...mine is a 1.1 version

It looks the exactly the same as mine!

Also the same person is Selling the Deco scanII. But it has the same kind of plugs to go with it....but im not sure what it does but im guessing i can scan any image i want ...i think. That souns so neat!.....

I hope you still come here and read thease things. Your the first person that seems to know about this stuff

Thank you, HARMONY

• Tina Hoffer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh well its to late now someone else bought it :-(

But thank you for your help.

• Harmony Olsen
    8 years ago

Im looking for a pe scan.....if anyone has one for sale?? Let me know 3harmonyo@gmail.com

Ps...is the bernia deco scan the same ? Is this COMPATTABLE with my brother ( Disney se-700) PLEASE let me know thank you!

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

I mailed you Re the cord and scanner, did you ck your spam folder? Yes, the Bernina scanner and Bro scanner are about the same. This is older software from when you could only buy designs on cards. It gave ability to make your own designs as has been explained. Any older cards will work in newer Brother machines...they made the machines to recognize older cards.

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Harmony---I found a Deco scanner on ebay--it looks exactly like the PE Scanner. I must caution that this one for sale did not have a memory card included. The cards are specific to the scanner and early PE Design softwares. I recently saw a card on ebay that was priced at $75--more expensive than, for instance, the card that comes with PED Basic. The Basic writer/reader set can be bought for around $100---or less used. Be careful. Vendors don't tell you what you really need to know because in most cases, they got the item from somewhere and are not familiar with it. So study up before plunging in.

• Harmony Olsen
    8 years ago

Thank you ....im going to look in my e mail....im not sure what to buy then the Berina deco two. Looks like it takes the. Exact same card ....but im afraid it might be a differnt platform....and every vendor on there is clueless on how tbey work and if they need any cords to hook up to computer?? I have found boath brother pe deco no card ($85) and berina deco 2.(No card)Only. $65. But i have the right card from my pe design . So should i get the berinia? Its cheaper! I dont want to gamble though...there is also the flip pal scanner but i think i need a exspensive pe next software i dont have$ 400. For software......so the card decos sound better for me ....i just need t ok know if a berina would work with brother products....and all that comes with these are power coards is that right no computer plugs come with thease right?

Thank YOU ,

3harmonyo@gmail.com

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

sending another mail and photo of scanner card.

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi dancingirl_gw, i would like to know if you still have pe-scan for sale. I'm not sure how to contact you direct

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Nina-Sten Persson..........sorry--no. But I have a friend whose last name is Persson and she pronounces it like "peerson". You too?

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

More like Pearson. It is swedish. Which I guess is the same as your friend.

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

I'm looking for a pe-scan and memory card, if any one had one for sale. I am in nz though so would need to be posted

• dmmastellis
    8 years ago

Hi Everybody! Just researching the Brother PE-Scan II and found this forum. I will be selling a complete system in unused condition on eBay this week. Everything originally included with the PE-Scan II is there, plus the optional AC adapter and blank memory card, too. I am located in the US but will ship this worldwide. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share!

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Any idea what price. I don't suppose you can find out postage to wellington, new Zealand 5018 for me. Thanks nina

• dmmastellis
    8 years ago

Hi Nina, Postage would be $68.40 to your location in New Zealand. Thanks for your interest! Diane

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi, does any one have or know of anyone that had a brother pe-scan I or ii for sale?

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi, does anyone have a blank memory card for brother pe-scan or bernette (bernina) deco scan?

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Nina...how much would postage be from U.S. to N.Z...1st class letter mail? You can email me via my profile if you like.

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Nina..replied to your hotmail...have replied twice. Ck your spam folder.

• Debbie Wheat
    8 years ago

Hi everyone. I found a PE-Scan on eBay and bought it with out a power cord. I have a Brother PC 8500 and a Brother PE-180D. I think the PE-scan will work but I don't have a power cord or any info. I have a PE basic I work from with my memory card. I also have a PE design ver 4.0. Is there any info anyone can share about the PEScan? Does anyone know much about the PE 4.0? So far I have been using my PE basic and my monogram wizard. I want to do more. ~Thanks

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi, dancing girl, is great hopefully she will be able to ge help. But i thought once you had pe design you wouldn't need a pescan

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

PE Scan is for drawing your own designs on paper, scanning, and getting stitches created for the design. However, it will only create max of 4x4 for your machine. Do you have the special memory card? Do you have the operating manual? I can "pdf" the owner's manual to you. I also have the PE Design v4 software ..the only diff between it and v5 is the reader/writer box--v5 uses USB connection. I also have videos for teaching v4 and I would share. I do not have the security dongle for v4--well, I do, but it won't recognize my computer. It will only work in computer with 32bit processor and parallel & serial ports. Private message me if I can be of help.

• suzqsnoopy
    8 years ago

Hi Fellow Embroiderers!

if you are already using PE-Basic or even better PE-Design than you are already ahead of the game as far as making your own designs.

PE-Scan is a basically beginner's introductory tool used to scan a drawing or picture. It's pretty basic and limited.

PE-Design on the other hand is digitizing software that opens a whole new world of designs for the embroider. Including the literally thousands of free designs you can download from the Internet!

PE-Scanners are really obsolete. They have made a PE-Scan II but it too is very limited and outdated. I don't believe you can even buy replacement parts for them anymore.

if you are truly interested in embroidering family photos (say on a quilt) or your family pet and other memorable and cherished designs, do yourself a favor and invest in digitizing software like PE-Design.

You will get a card reader and blank card with the set, the software updates regularly (I believe they are on Version #9 now) but all versions can produce the same personalized designs and your abilities will be limitless.

The PE-Scanners are just obsolete and very limited. And they are not compatible with the newer machines without purchasing a lot of additional add-ons that you will never use again.

And, once you really get going with your embroidering and realizing all the things you never imagined you could do...you WILL be upgrading or trading in your machine for an updated model every few years.

You just won't be able to help yourself when newer updated versions hit the market...it's addicting!

Have fun creating!

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

I wasn't aware that the latest pe-design could digitized a picture. I thought you could only use to for free designs that were in the correct format, i have the ped basic. But as it says basic perhaps this is not enough. I would love to be able to digitized photos etc. What do I need?

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

No reading further I see that the ped basic is way different from the pe design. But can't afford that yet. Maybe one day

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Debbie Wheat.......you have mail. Ck your spam folder. .?

• Pennye Scheiber
    8 years ago

I have the PE-SCAN II which I will sell to anyone for $20 and cost of shipping. We are moving and am selling a lot of stuff. I hardly ever used it so it also has 4 design books that go with it. Just let me know at pennyescheiber70@gmail.com

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi pennye have emailed you

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Tried to email you pennye but mail won't go. Please email me tinkernjasper@hotmail.com

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Hi Pennye, have emailed you

• suzqsnoopy
    8 years ago

Hi Fellow Embroiderers!

if you are already using PE-Basic or even better PE-Design than you are already ahead of the game as far as making your own designs.

PE-Scan is a basically beginner's introductory tool used to scan a drawing or picture. It's pretty basic and limited.

PE-Design on the other hand is digitizing software that opens a whole new world of designs for the embroider. Including the literally thousands of free designs you can download from the Internet!

PE-Scanners are really obsolete. They have made a PE-Scan II but it too is very limited and outdated. I don't believe you can even buy replacement parts for them anymore.

if you are truly interested in embroidering family photos (say on a quilt) or your family pet and other memorable and cherished designs, do yourself a favor and invest in digitizing software like PE-Design.

You will get a card reader and blank card with the set, the software updates regularly (I believe they are on Version #9 now) but all versions can produce the same personalized designs and your abilities will be limitless.

The PE-Scanners are just obsolete and very limited. And they are not compatible with the newer machines without purchasing a lot of additional add-ons that you will never use again.

And, once you really get going with your embroidering and realizing all the things you never imagined you could do...you WILL be upgrading or trading in your machine for an updated model every few years.

You just won't be able to help yourself when newer updated versions hit the market...it's addicting!

Have fun creating!

• suzqsnoopy
    8 years ago

P . S....there are numerous PE-Scan CARD SETS for sale on eBay. (About $80 for 10 packs- not cheap) This will give you a good idea of what the scanner is actually for.

you scan ready-made pictures, save them to a blank card and then embroider that design on something.

like I said earlier it is very generic and basic...as well as limited. You will be bored with it within a month and will wonder why you didn't just start out with the PE-DESIGN reader and writer.

the first time you embroider out a favorite family photo or your favorite pets picture onto quilt quarters to make a family quilt or a shirt, you'll be so glad you learned all that is available in the world of personal one-of-a-kind embriodery designing and creating for the home embroiderer.

There are many versions of PE-DESIGN available on eBay (of course with the newest version costing the most) or you can buy an older version and upgrade as you learn. They are available all over the Internet and its an investment you'll never regret. SHOP AROUND FOR THE BEST PRICE!

and, once you're at a point of being able to create designs in your sleep...and it won't be long before that happens either, you will find yourself making personalized gifts and even selling your creations too.

i made a quilt with my favorite pictures of all of the wonderful pets I have had in my life and have since made four for other family members and their pets and once their friends saw them, I have made 22 additional quilts that I charge $300 for...and no one has ever complained or questioned the cost. It's a unique gift that everyone cherishes.

i have long since paid for not only my PE-Design software and equipment but even paid for my first two embroidery machines, serger, tons of embroidery notions and a machine upgrade in 2013. And I am now thinking about a more commercial machine purchase too.

I Have learned that if you purchase expensive equipment, notions and embroidery blanks and then get bored with it all because you didn't utilize your equipment to it's fullest abilities... You will kick yourself for all the money you lost and wasted. And, who can afford to do that nowadays?

if you just start out making the best decisions and purchases in the first place, you'll never regret any of your purchases and may even find yourself making some much needed money, too!

there is an embroidery store near my town that charges $30 PER TOWEL just to initial bath towels for their customers and they can't keep up with all the business. If you call they tell you that you will be put on a waiting list...so, what would you do if you knew of another embroiderer/store (YOU) that could embroider towels for $20 each and have them done in 3-5 days? You would go to them!

And, as the embroiderer, who has no overhead because the customers provide their own towels for personalization, you embroider 5-6 towels per hour (that's 40 towels per 8 hr. Shift/Day and having fun doing it too) easily earning you $800 per day!!! Who couldn't use that?

it has been a wonderful way to earn extra money, meet a lot of nice people and enjoy what I am doing ...all from the comfort of my home on my time schedule or from my favorite spot at our weekly flea-market that I usually go to once a month or every other month.

having capabilities that other embroiderers may not have ( like making one-of-a-kind designs) has absolutely set me apart from other Embroiderers. I can create designs so personal to my customers ( pictures of their family or children) that they would use my services even if my prices were the highest.

That's what sets PE-DESIGN, Basic or other similar software apart from the PE-SCAN that limits you to just scanning a ready-made design..

Sorry I ramble but, I just love sharing ideas with people of similar interests...

Happy Embroidering!

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

Thanks, it is something that I will have to say for as new in nz where I am the pe design next us nzd 100. Ebay cheaper but then postage on top. Just can't justify spending 500 usd on a design at this moment. One day maybe

• Maryanne Chalmers
    8 years ago

I am also interested in purchasing a PE-SCAN II for my PE-150, with a blank memory card. schalmers@cfl.rr.com

• Sarahjayne Brown
    8 years ago

Hi I have inherited a the Brother PE 2 scanner, it has a power cord & 2 cards but no manual. Does anybody know where I can get a manual please? I would love to give it a go but don't have a clue what to do with it. I do have PE design next on my computer would this work with it?

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

What country are you in, are you on facebook

• Nina-Sten Persson
    8 years ago

I'm in nz so would probably be expensive to post. But could always scan and email

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Sarahjayne...I can email you the manual in PDF for printing, if you like. You can PM me from this site and I will reply with the manual. Do not post your address here for public viewing.The PE Scan does not connect to computer, so you cannot save your created designs to your hard drive. Therefore, PE Design Next cannot be used with the scanner. And you scan images you have drawn for the box to put stitches to, but only as large as 4x4. All personally created designs are saved to the cards for taking to the machine and are deleted as you need space. The more cards, the better, if you find you like this product. It is a lot of fun to work with.

• Sarahjayne Brown
    8 years ago

Many Thanks, your a star :) xx

• Harmony Olsen
    8 years ago

HI dancing girl ! Alot has happened since I purchased my pe scan! 2 new embroidery machines 1 old version of Disney then a new version of brother embroidery machine ....I haven used my pe scan but once! I tryed using it yesterday. ....it no longer works! Tryed looking it up on brother website but there is no such item must be so outdated! I took it apart today and fuse is black I need a new fuse ! But I don't know what kind of fuse it is! Brother is closed on Sunday :(.

Maybe you know someone with this information the rest of the machine is pristine! But the fuse! ...I JUST ORDER THE BROTHER SCAN N CUT LAST WEEK! I'm so excited I'm wondering if I need this machine anymore now that I have the scan and cut I might be able just to transfer to pe design after I scan on cut n scan or I can just transfer it to my machine after that it sounds complicated to me so if I have to but a new one I might just get the flip pro scanner for brother I found one for 135.oo. so I have to wait till next month unless the cut n scan works??

If anyone knows anything about the only fuse that's inside the pe scan let me know ! I like to use this for lace if I can fix it! Thank you so much!!

Dancing girl! !

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Harmony...Oh No! Well, is there no info on the fuse that you can read?.. have you looked at the info in the front of the manual? I have personally not had any problems--but yes, the scanner technology is "antique. However, I should think you can find a replacement fuse. I would send a mail to Brother Technical support (be sure to give specific model-Scan or Scan II - tho I suspect the parts are the same. Ask for a source, and also ask if the proper fuse might be found at an auto parts store....OR elect supply company.

Re the Scan and cut..I believe that is used primarily for cutting vinyl to decorate T Shirts, etc. I may be entirely wrong about that, but I don't see how it could be used with P E DESIGN.

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

Re the fuse....my PE Design v4, and v2 each have this same fuse in the reader/writer boxes. There is info on the silver end caps of the fuse that should help you. Actually, I would start with an auto supply store...it looks like it could also maybe fit into a car. Hope this will help you...I sent same to you in pm. Ck your spam folder.

• Barbara Greer
    8 years ago

Dancingirl if you still have the PDF manual for the pacesetter pe scanner II I would be so grateful if you could send it to me. I haven't used my scanner for years and I have everything but the manual which I can't seen to locate. Thanks ever so much!!! Barb

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

OOPS.... my server will not accept your email address. I am in USA..don't know your location. If you have solution, click on my profile and send me mail from Houzz. I cannot forward PDF from here.

• baylykit
    8 years ago

New to machine embroidery and the pe scan. Can I purchase from anyone the manual. Can't seem to get mine working and wondering if it is the fuse like dancingirl. Where is that located. Thanks for any help.

• dancingirl_gw
    8 years ago

oh no, my fuse is fine...I was responding to Harmony above. You will have to remove screws to find a tiny fuse attached to the circuit board. I could email you the manual in PDF , but you need to PM me from this site with your addy.

• subtk
    7 years ago

Hi everyone!

I want to buy "PE Design" and the Brother card reader of old type, "Pe design 4" or early. For to write on the brother memory card "SA 308" of old type.

Or for to write other card reader on the brother memory card "SA 308" of old type. Cheap. The request to write on email: subtk@rambler.ru

• Jim Shelton
    2 years ago

Notice the Brother PE-SCAN requires a 7.5V power supply 1 amp with a NEGATIVE center pin. The plug size is 5.5mm outside diameter and the center pin is 2.1mm. There is a ton of them on Ebay but they have a POSITIVE center pin. Brother states in the manual this is a special power supply. I bought one from Ebay with a Positive center pin, stripped the insulation cover off of the two wires, Cut the two wires and solder the red to the black wire and the black to the red and you will have reversed the center pin to negative. Just cover with shrink wrap tubing. You can check the pins with a meter just to be sure it is correct before you plug it into the scanner.

Any computer or tv shop can do this if you can't.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz