Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmullen_gw

Durability of machines

dmullen
18 years ago

My wife wants a sewing machine that will embroider but after looking at a few of them (low cost to start out), she talked to a customer at a store who told her that most of them (all brands) end up needing endless repairs.

Now, she has doubts about getting one because we don't want something that will be in the shop constantly.

One that she is particularly interested in is at Costco and it is made by Brother. It sells for $199 but is on sale this week.

I don't know anything about sewing machines but the Brother brand is a very good and reliable one in computer equipment.

Can someone here share their experiences with repair histories on this type of sewing machine?

Comments (3)

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

I just checked Costco and the only embroidery machine they have is the Singer CE100 that does not include the necessary software which will run an extra few hundred to get the necessary modules--there are plenty of sewing machines at that price, no embroidery machines. If there is an embroidery machine for $199, I'd like to know what make it is and who is selling it. Sometimes you get what you pay for on E-Bay.

Most dedicted embroidery machines start around $400 and the sky is the limit for the top-end machines at about $8,000 just for the machines, excluding software. Then you have thread, needles, stabilizers, extra hoops in various sizes, and other necessary accessories and software to add to the list and cost. Then there are lessons if she is completely new to machine embroidery as these lesson are invaluble. If you purchase from an authorized dealer, these are usually free.

I would research every aspect of machine embroidery including prices very well before purchasing any machine. The caveat is that that the user should try the machine out first before buying to see if it feels comfortable using it.

I've never had a problem with any of my machines outside of the Singer CE200 combination sewing/embroidery, and that was a bad embroidery arm that was replaced by Allbrands. All ran well out of the box and still run without one repair sans the embroidery arm problem. I have a Singer 6235 sewing machine, CE200 combo sewing/embroidery (hate the thing on the sewing side as there is no visible guide for stitch width or length, you have to listen for the beeps that begins to sound like Road Runner on too much caffeine, and costantly do stitch tests that wastes time and thread), and a serger, a Brother PE-150 embroidery, and Kenmore 19365 made by Janome sewing machine.

• dmullen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

After reading my response, I realized that the machine she wants is not really an embroidery machine. Just a regular machine with 100 computerised stitches.

Our local Costco has a Brother for $199 with $40 off tomorrow and for a few more days. A link to the same machine on their web site is;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11069955&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Sorry to have bothered you with this question when I was wrong about the type of machine but I know nothing about sewing and she embroiders by hand and crochets etc. so I assumed it was embroidery that she wanted to do on a machine.

Thanks for your response and it will be good info to have when she is ready to start doing it by machine.

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

I checked the machine out and it looks like a nice machine with a myriad assortment of stitches, although I can't quite figure out the zipper stitch, you usually use a straight stitch for that, unless it's for a hand-picked look.

If her other machine is a low bar, she might be able to use the feet from that machine on this machine, and save money in the process.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES