Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islay_corbel

Which machine?

Islay_Corbel
18 years ago

Here goes, ladies. I bet you've been asked this a million times, but I just can't make any sense out of the embroidery websites - it's like trying to compare apples and pears. Which machine would you buy? I have a general sewing machine that I like, so would be happy with an embroidery-only machine. Please help me out here!

Comments (3)

• thelmalee
    18 years ago

My first embroidery only machine was the Brother 150 that I bought off Ebay. It was a great learning machine, very user friendly. I traded it for a Janome 300E, mainly for the larger embroidry field, but in hind sight wish I had kept the Brother also. The font card is better than the Janome fonts in my opinion. If you want an inexpensive machine to learn on the Brother if nice.

• wanderward
    18 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree... I love my pe150. My husband and I have recently been discussing maybe adding to the machine collection because I, too, think a lader embroidery field would be a good thing... but I plan on keeping my 150 - it's been a great machine

• staasia
    18 years ago

Here goes again...
    I own two Brothers and will always own two. I like having a backup. Not that I really need it, but I really want it.
    The most important thing for you to consider is not price as much as dealer back up.
    If you find a place that sells embroidery machines, ask them how much do they charge for repairs after their warrantee is up and how do they handle free classes during warrantee and after warrantee.
    For a guidline, my dealer gives a one year repair and free lessons warrantee. Once the year is up, they charge $100 for repairs for three years (and stand by it) and if you want to continue with lessons it is $100 a year. Both charges are worth it. Every time you buy a machine, new or used, you get a year lessons and repairs no charge.
    I have seen an online site which charges less for repairs, but I am sure that after the shipping costs it is more.
    I can and have brought one of my machines in five times in a little over a year. It is working great now. I have learned that some of it's problems was my inexperience. I bought both machines used and have absolutely no regrets. The dealer has been great. They even give us a 20 per cent discount on other purchaces (thread and needles etc.)
    If you check back posts you will probably find that others agree with what I have written. I read older posts that said buy from a dealer and even though I had, I didn't realize as a newbie, how valuable that was. I sure do now, looking back at the support I got.
    Do yourself a favor and call around, and ask how much it costs to have an embroidery machine checked out and or repaired.
    Good luck.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler