Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Embroidery design 'bubbles' after washing

Posted by mom_105 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 10:43

Please help, I can't figure this out, can I be using too many stablizers? I usually, for a polo shirt use an iron on stablizer first, and then 2-3 layers of a tear away, and then hoop it. But after a few washings, the design isn't "flat" anymore. What I'm doing for a design is a small picture, and then a name, like work shirts. Maybe a better quality stablizer? I got my current stuff off of Ebay.Thanks for your help! Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Embroidery design 'bubbles' after washing

When I started embroidering, I noticed this same problem. An easy fix.....for stretchy fabrics, ie. knits and sweatshirts, use a medium weight cutaway stabilizer. One thickness should do it. Use spray adhesive to attach to garmet, hoop, stitch, then cut the stabilizer around the design. Should stay nice and flat for the life of the garmet. Hope this helps.

o

Yep, it's the tear-away stabilizer that's causing your problems.

Use a cut-away, and if there is a high cotton content on the shirts, it couldn't hurt to wash and dry them first, so if they are going to shrink, they will have done most of it before you embroider. I always wash anything with cotton before I embroider.

o

For polos I use a cut away mesh that's very light and shirts embroider beautifully.

o

hi
If you have pulled your fabric to tight it will bubble. For knits or stretch type fabrics use No Show Polymesh(nylyon). I use No Show Fusible Polymesh for the shirt. I iron it on the back (wrong side) of the shirt. This will stop it from stretching. Bring it right side out. The fusible is put where my design is going to be on the right side. I use No Show Cutaway Polymesh in the hoop. The brand I have is Sew Stable.
You can use the loopless method if you don't want to hoop. Pin, baste, spray , glue, or sticky. B.

o

Use a 3-mil cut away on the bottom and your good. If your embroidery puckers you most likely pulled it too tight in the hoop. Hoop the polo with a natural drape and don't stretch it. If it's a pique that should work fine, if it's jersey then be extra careful to not stretch it. If you want you might try a bit of pull compensation on the jersey knits. You can get professional backings here: http://www.embroidery-supplies.com/ (Select Our Catalog)

o

Another thing you might check is to make sure your design isn't to dense. Sew your design on another fabric for a test run. Ask me how I know :) lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here