Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which machine for this specific job?

Posted by gingingin (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 10:37

Hi there.

I have a specific need to embroider a couple hundred polyester napkins with a single monogram initial. Given the prices I've been quoted from businesses (even though I already have the blank napkins inhand), and doing a little bit of research, I've about decided that it would be cost effective to buy an entry level machine, do the napkins myself and then sell the machine as used. That way I'd also be able to put the monogram on other linens as well, if necessary.

I could spend the rest of my life researching, but since it's such a specific need, I thought it best to just ask someone and get on with it.

Needless to say, I don't want to spend lots of money when the task is so limited. And before anyone gets the idea that I might actually want to do more and bigger and more complicated things with a machine once I get it, rest assured that my skillset, schedule, and attention span will see to it that this doesn't happen hahahaha.

Lastly, I know the monogram typeface/font that I want to use and I've found it available in various machine formats, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'd just really really like to know, in a nutshell, what machine I can get away with buying for this single, specific use with the least amount of headache and cost.

Any recommendations, comments, or insight is **MUCH** appreciated.

Thanks again!
Gin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which machine for this specific job?

Gin, do you have any sewing machine dealers in your area? I think most of the manufacturers make an embroidery only model, and they aren't too expensive. WalMart used to carry the Brother brand of emb-only machines, but I don't know if they still do since they've been getting rid of their fabric departments.

You can try checking the websites of the major manufacturers for dealers in your area, then contact them to see what they have in stock.

Brother, Janome, Viking, Pfaff, Bernina...those are the ones that come to mind. In my area the JoAnn Fabrics stores have Viking dealers in them.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here