Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Tips for machine embroidery on veil

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

x post with sewing forum

I have committed (or should be committed) to make a veil for an upcoming wedding. The bride wants a cathedral length veil but with some designs near the bottom with some beads and sequence.

I can either hand embroider or machine embroider. I don't have one of the fancy embroidery machines, but would have to do free hand embroidery on the machine. I've never done it before. Are there any tips and tricks I should know about??? Also, the veil she saw that she liked was embroidered in silver colored thread...is this something I can use in a machine? I figured then I could use invisible thread to attach the beads on top of the base.

Otherwise, I suppose I can revert to hand embroidery....

Comments (56)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks dancingirl....no I'm not getting paid...this is my wedding gift to the bride.

Here are some pics of my plan...paper cut outs of the lace, sheet instead of veil, quick sketch of a monogram.

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Well, you are just precious--that bride is truly blessed. The veil is going to be beautiful---no one will even look at the bride! That would be gorgeous on the train, as well.
    Loved seeing the pix. BTW, it seems we are all alone in our conversation. I've noticed that this site doesn't get visited as often as it once was. But I still ck for new postings. I got email notice of your posting, but had to log in to see what your handwork will look like. Wish you had an emb machine for the monogram! I could loan you use of one of mine, but I'm way off in TN.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks dancingirl, I appreciate the offer.

I'm very concerned about the monogram...I'm so afraid I'll get 90% of the way there and then have a serious screw up and have to start all over again...ESP since the lace I bought was a remnant and am not sure I can get more. So I think I'll do the monogram separately and then attach, even if I have to glue it....

Once I get to the hand beading, I'll relax though as that can be done slowly, one stitch at a time, and can be redone if I make a mistake...

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Just remember to B..R..E..A..T..H..E.....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I started practicing my free hand machine embroidery today on a J monogram that I think will look nice. I still need more practice and need to play with materials, but I think I'm going to just embroider directly onto pellon and then trim it close and glue it onto the veil...I really am not a fan of glue, but it seems to work really well, stays flexible and is going to be so much safer than trying to embroider directly onto the veiling. I'm so scared that I'll get all the machine applique done and then screw up the monogram and have to start all over. I think this approach will be much better and more likely to succeed.

I also found out that it works best if I straight stitch the edge first and then do the zigzag to fill it in. I also found out I'm going to need several miles of thread to get this done, so I better go buy some bigger spools.

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, are you using silk, or rayon, or poly embroidery thread?? It will make the best show. I use a lot of the shiny poly and rayon in my emb mach, May I suggest you use 2 of the threads in the needle for better coverage? The emb thread is finer and there are hundreds of yds on a small spool.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just practicing with regular all purpose thread....what do you recommend for the top thread and the bobbin thread...should they be the same or different? And are you recommending running 2 threads through the needle at once? I've not ever done that before....

One web site I came across recommends using bobbin thread in the bobbin and embroidery thread in the needle...I've not ever worked with anything other than all purpose...I did start practicing with poly invisible thread though for the lace applique and that seemed to work really well...it is impossible to see.

I appreciate any info you can provide, dancingirl!

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

There is a very fine poly thread that I use in my emb machines--I think it is 40w. (I buy the prewound bobbins, but it would be available at your store..also the rayon/poly/silk threads are much finer so the stitches can "pile up" without getting too dense and heavy. You will be using white? I'd try some white embroidery thread on top and bottom...it will be so shiny & pretty. Re 2 threads--yes, you can wind some on a spare bobbin and use it as a 2nd spool and thread 2 threads thru the needle. You should get good coverage that way. Certainly would test 1st to be sure both threads will flow thru the tensions. You can do this! The outline stitches sounds like it'll be easier to fill.

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

I just tho't -if you can get the thread in a silver gray (not a metallic) then it will look like liquid silver but soft. I use it a lot--I like the look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm heading to the fabric store on Tues and was planning on investigating the threads. I really appreciate the input. I also think the gal sold me the wrong needle...she sold me this microtex thing, but I think I need an embroidery needle....

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

I remember trying to buy emb, needles at a machines store once, several yrs ago--the owner said, "just use a #16. I use ordinary #14 in my emb machine unless it's special thread (metallic, etc) or delicate fabric. Then always a new needle--emb. Failing the embroidery of the monogram, you can outline the letter and fill with tiny seed pearls, or such. Does that sound pretty?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes! Filling it in with seed pearls sounds lovely but like it would take forever!

I did get embroidery thread in a shiny ivory, I got bobbin thread and I got an embroidery needle. I also got some pellon to use as the stabilizer.

I'll let you know how it comes out when I get done practicing with it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update....I'm doing fine with the machine applique of the lace...I think that will for work well for me. However, I'm not doing so well with the monogram. I still have a few more experiments to try, but I'm thinking I may have to try another method. I'm thinking at this point of some combo of machine embroidery over which I do a hand embroidery, or if I should try to cut the monogram out of some non-raveling satin looking material and sew or glue it to the veil.... or I was looking at some needle tucking hand sewing process that is typically used for quilting that might work...

I stopped at the store where the bride is buying her gown and they said they can do monogramming there, so at least I have a fall-back position....

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 12:43

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Well, you still have a bit of time to experiment, don't you? Do put a pix up when you think you have it nailed down. Now me?! I'd have abandoned the idea of personalizing it with my own handwork--and the embroidery machine would get that job.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I feel better now...I've ordered iron on monogram letters that I think I can make work...only thing is they are white so I have to dye them (that's why I bought more than one) to make them work. But I feel so much better knowing I have something.

I mean I'm sweating bullets here trying to figure out how to do this and the iron on guy is only about $2! So I need to put my effort toward where there's a real payback.....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I certainly was inspired last night when after project runway they had on a special about the gowns by marchesa....all of the hand beadwork and details are simply stunning!

Here is a link that might be useful: Marchesa dresses

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With DH's help, I've cut the veil, rounded the corners, squared the edges and am now starting to applique the lace to the veil. So far I've done 3 pieces of lace and have 8 more to go... they look great, but I still have to deal with removing the stabilizer. I think I should've gotten something tear away instead of just melt away...I'm terrified to cut it too close lest I cut the veil itself.

I also almost started sewing the veil into the applique as, as I was turning the hoop some it started dragging some of it in. But thankfully I caught it in time. I've also learned that I can do less turning by sewing backwards, which has been working pretty well.

The hoop is such a big help at adding control and making sure I don't sew what I don't want to sew. I simply don't know how mom managed to make the wedding gowns she did...no hoop, no stabilizer, no nothing.

I'm actually feeling more confident that I may actually get this done....

I've gotten a lot of beads and pearls and such to play with...once the applique is done, I'll have to start designing the beading to cover the lace....so much fun!

I had my first stab at dying the monogram in tea, but it came out blotchy so then I bleached it and it came back to white, but slightly off white...almost the color I need, but still too white. So then I tried putting some water color paint on it, but it takes the sheen off the letter. Next step is purchased fabric dye and see if I can't get that to work better than the tea.....

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Are you using the clear monofilament thread, or matching the lace with an embroidery thread? I do some machine applique with the clear thread and a small applique stitch on the machine, and it is almost invisible unless right in your face. About 3 small stitches at the edge and then a little zig into the app. piece. It's my quick finish.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, dancingirl, thanks. I'm using the invisible thread, and it really is invisible....it looks great. I'm using the ivory thread in the bobbin.

I've ordered more monogram letters so I can play with them for dyeing....and if worse comes to worse, I can always go back to giving machine embroidery a try in the ivory colored thread...I think I need to be more practiced and persistent with that one....

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

I hope the bride knows how you are laboring over this monogram! And just think, she;ll wear it for a few minutes and change into her honeymoon outfit & leave it all tossed in a corner. LOL

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, no different from every thanksgiving dinner....you slave and struggle all day or more to make a terrific meal, everyone eats for 10-15 min and then it's down the sewer!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was also thinking of changing the color of the monogram by hand embroidery over the letter with a creamier thread so that the intermixing of the threads would yield the ivory color I need....I suppose I could try to do that on machine as well....choices, choices.

GF suggested taking it to a place where they dye wedding shoes....they should know how to do ivory....

• Laurie
    11 years ago

I am very impressed with Annie's process and persistence as well as dancingirl's helpful advice and emcouragement.

The pics of the plan on the sheet look amazing. I can't wait to see the real veil! Please continue to post pics : )

Laurie

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words...

I'm making good progress on the applique....the 2 roses and the 2 long side pieces are yet to be attached, and of course, so is a monogram, but this is where I am so far. I've been tweaking the design as I'm attaching the lace for the final layout...poor hubby has had to "model" the veil for me so I can see how the design looks when walking and for scale. He's such a good sport!

It was getting hard to really judge the design though with all the stabilizer behind the lace so yesterday was my first "dunk" into water to remove the stabilizer....so nerve wracking... but it came out just fine. I'll have to dunk again as there's still residual, but it will need to be done after I've attached the final 4 anyway. But as a first run, it went very well.

I've been very lucky in that, knock wood, I haven't torn it yet and I haven't accidentally sewn the veil into the applique!

I bought some fabric dye to try and dye the monogram ivory....and I have 5 monograms now in total to play with to get it right.

Once the applique is done, it will be fun designing the actual beading pattern. I'm not sure I have all the right beads or can get them...I may have to order them from the internet, but I hate to do that as I'd really like to see them up close and personal first.

I wish my Mom were here....I still wonder how she did all the applique on the wedding gowns she made...that was before melt away stabilizers, and disappearing ink pens and she only had an old singer machine...none of the nice features like free motion or having the needle stay in the fabric when you stop sewing and no invisible thread. The more I work on this, the more respect I gain for what she's done.

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

It is truly a work of art..how lucky this bride is to have a friend in you. I see you changed the 'layout' since it was mocked-up on the sheet. REALLY pretty! NO. It is BEAUTIFUL.

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

It is truly a work of art..how lucky this bride is to have a friend in you. I see you changed the 'layout' since it was mocked-up on the sheet. REALLY pretty! NO. It is BEAUTIFUL.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah! You noticed!

Yeah I shrunk it back as I thought the monogram was too large, and as you walk, the veil wants to collapse in on itself, so I found it looked better if the design was narrower, but I think it still has enough height and scale that it will work with the dress.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

"I wish my mom were here.... The more I work on this, the more respect I gain for what she's done".

I feel the same way when working on my sewing projects.

Thank you for posting the pics of your layout on the veil material. Keep up the good work and continue to post when you can.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hooray! Machine applique work on the veil is officially done! No tears and no getting the veil caught in the applique! I made a few more tweaks and left out the single roses as I liked the less linear shape better.

I showed pics to the bride and she approved wholeheartedly. (Thank goodness!) I told her that at this point, we can always add more, but can't take away.

Now starts the fun of playing with the beading.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

Yeah! I thought the other shape was great, but now that I see your new shape, I agree that it looks even better!
    Congratulations on your attention to detail and your excellent work.
    Continue to update us on your progress : )

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will do....I so appreciate your support and encouragement!

I was watching project runway all stars last night and once again Georgina Chapman had on the most stunning marchesa dress with incredible bead work. Sigh....

• bak2basik
    11 years ago

I just logged on this site for the first time in months. Your veil is a very interesting topic and project. I do have a couple of commercial embroidery machines and - after seeing your veil - will try out some of my lace designs on illusion netting just to see what I can do. Yours is wonderful. I did wonder, however, if the weight of the lace and mono had any pull effect on how the veil hangs when being worn.

Thanks for posting pictures and all the back and forth of making a lovely veil. I once did a shower curtain as a gift for a friend that took hours and hours of planning, embroidering and purchased designs. My husband called it the 'million dollar shower curtain' because of all that went into making it. I think you have a 'million dollar veil'! Lynn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lynn!

The veil is cathedral length so will be dragging on the floor beyond her train, so it really isn't affecting how it hangs...it will just keep it on the floor. I think it will tend to pull the edges in though as she walks so I made the design a little narrower so it won't fold in on itself. I also made the veil wider than others she had tried on so if the edges fold, it will still be fairly wide. But it will also help weigh the veil down so it should stay put better than it might with no embellishment.

Looking on the web, I also found a place that monograms wedding veils by putting the monogram on a separate oval netting with a border and then attaching it to the veil so it is removable.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I've come up with the design for the beading on the veil. Any and all critiques are most welcome as it's all about making the bride and her veil lovely.

It's hard to see in the photos, but I think I have enough balance of materials, and my plan is, everywhere a particular flower shows up, to bead it the same.

It's a combo of different size silver bugle beads, clear and silver seed beads, clear paillettes, clear and silver sequins. Plus a few other things like czech crystal for one flower center and swarovski crystal, and small rhinestones. I also did some hand embroidery in silver metallic thread around the leaves.

I'm meeting with the bride tomorrow to get her comments on it. Hopefully, she'll like it!

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

This will truly be a work of art worthy of becoming an heirloom to be passed down for generations. You are a very special friend to have created this beautiful veil. I repeat, I hope your friend appreciates all your labor and love. It certainly requires 'love' to go to your extent. She must be as special as you are!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well today I'll be going to a bridal shop. I went there and they were kind enough to show me a dress that had beaded lace, but with a more modern interpretation, as it can go old fashioned really quickly. The gal there was most helpful and critiqued the sample I brought so it helped me see what I needed to do. So when I go back, I'll bring my samples with me and ask for more input to see what she thinks.....and the bride is coming tonight for final approval before I start the work for real.

Good timing too as we'll probably be getting snowed in over the next couple of days...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went to the bridal shop and she liked what I did.

Bride saw my sample last night and she's delighted with it.

So now I just have to get to work on the real veil.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

It's nice to hear that everything is coming along so well!

I like the pictures you posted on the black background. It helps to see all of that beautiful detail.

Continue to keep us updated : )

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Laurie...I will! I'm almost done with the hand embroidery of the silver metallic threads and then I'll be able to start the beading in earnest.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: I'm over halfway done with the hand beading...I can only work on it for 60-90 min per day otherwise my eyes start to bother me, but I'm making good progress and I'm really pleased with how it's coming out....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wahoo! I have all the hand beading done and I've dyed the monogram and it came out looking great, but too plain for the rest of the arrangement, so I've hand beaded a row of rocaille down the middle of the monogram and it looks just fine.

Next step is to attach the monogram, and then decide if I want to sprinkle swarovski crystals around the veil or not as the bride wants....don't want it to detract from the arrangement, don't want to go too vegas, but do want to keep her happy....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to take better pics...all the hand beading I did doesn't show up on these.....

I'm about 1/3 of the way through sewing the crystals onto the veil. Then I just have to attach it to the comb....getting there though!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other than shortening and attaching it to the comb, the veil is done! Huzzah!!!

The beading consists of a wide variety of stuff, but I coordinated it with each flower being beaded in the same way regardless of where it occurred on the veil. I used paillets, rocailles, seed beads, bugle beads, czech crystal, swarovski crystal, individually mounted rhinestones, sequins, some jewelry baubles, a few pearls and hand embroidery in silver thread.

Now I've got to start on my own dress for the wedding....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems the veil worked....bride wore it down the aisle and now she's married! Wahoo!!!

• dancingirl_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, gosh darn it! I missed the wedding! I've not been here for a while and just now catching up. What a beautiful job you have done and invested so many long, hard hours ---that's what true friendship really is all about. That bride will always remember your generosity, and surely "love" that went into that creation. Simply beautiful is not enough praise for this special veil. Annie, you done good!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, dancingirl, I missed the wedding too...I was in Europe during the wedding...but I look forward to seeing more pics!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

It turned out beautiful!!
    Thanks, Annie, for following up with this picture down the aisle.
    A special part of you WAS at the wedding : )
    You did a marvelous job!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Laurie. I certainly was there in spirit.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Laurie. I certainly was there in spirit.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia