Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewcrafty2000

Problems with Brother PE-150

sewcrafty2000
19 years ago

Hi, I am new to the embroidery world. I recently purchased a Brother PE-150 that was reconditioned. It seems to embroider just fine except the designs are always a little off. The color doesn't fill in all the way to the edge and the outline is somewhat off. I always use an iron on stabilizer underneath and I've tried different types of thread. Currently I have 100% polyester machine embroidery thread in the top and the bobbin. So far I've only tried to do designs on tee shirts or sweatshirts for my kids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My husband is convinced that it is because the machine was reconditioned, but I think I'm just not doing something right. I also would like to know the best way to go about making patches with it. Thanks!!!

Comments (12)

• redpenny
    19 years ago

Try to design on cotton.Use and old pillow case or a old sheet cut-up.Also use stablizer,Also use a 50 wt thread in the bobbin.Try each design.Also make sure you aren't hooping too tight and pulling your material.

• MaryinMichigan
    19 years ago

Does you material shift as it is embroiderying? Also, stablizer is very important and on something thin you might have to use a stablizer on the top and botton. I've used cotton and rayon thread with my machine (I also have a PE150). It depends on what type of design you are doing will determine the type of thread. I like doing redwork and I use cotton thread on those designs.

• msmeow
    19 years ago

You may also need a layer of water soluble stabilizer or tulle on top, especially on sweatshirts. This will keep the stitches from sinking into the fabric.

Have you tried some test stitching on a more stable fabric? Your problem may be that the stretchy fabrics are not stabilized enough.

• sewcrafty2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to everyone so far with the suggestions. I didn't know that I could be possibly hooping too tight. I always try to pull it as tight as I can because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. As far as stabilizer...what is the best recomended type? Please if anyone can help...once again I really do appreciate it. Thank you

• redpenny
    19 years ago

Read your manual it will tell you not to pull too tight. As far as stablizer there are several brand sulky etc. Each stablizer type will list for what fabric it works with best.

• TxMarti
    19 years ago

Are you using the designs in your machine or downloaded ones? Some downloaded ones just don't line up right, but try all the above suggestions first.

• sewcrafty2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Marti8a, I been trying designs from embroidery cards. I think I have to take a trip to the fabric store and read some stabilizers and pick out the right one. I think the wrong stabilizer and maybe few of the other suggestions are what I'm doing wrong. It's good to know that it is not my machine!!! Thanks again everyone.

• Laura_IA
    19 years ago

I always use a fusible stabilizer for sweatshirts and t-shirts. It's made a huge difference in the quality, I think.

• joly
    19 years ago

I bought a reconditioned PE 150 also. I too believe you don't have enough stabilizer. I also have an Iris machine and have taken a couple classes. One thing said, you can't over stabilize. I just did a denim shirt that came out perfect and had 3 laysers of stabilizer underneath and one water soluble on top. The shirt turned out beautiful. I made sure the piece touching the skin on the underneath was a softer one.

• keepeminstitches
    19 years ago

Sometimes the outline doesn't line up with the design due to pull that is caused by the needle penetration. My machine (Bernina 200) has something called Pull Compensation that is automatically applied or you can set it manually in order to overstitch to fill the gaps. Check out your owner's manual for this feature. I'm not familiar with Brother, but it's worth checking out.

Keepeminstitches

• ypmart1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Ijust came across this machine PE150 used for $54.00 But the foot pedal is missing. When I plugged it in everything was coming up in Spanish. HOw do I change it to English. It does have a manual with it and another booklet about monogramming I believe. I don't know if this model is too old. Does anyone have a year on this model. And of course where can I buy the foot pedal? Thanks in advance. red

• dklit72_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hey! Not sure if you've already found your foot pedal or not but here is a sight on Amazon that has them! http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Control-Pedal-XC6651121-Brother/dp/B0038RENYQ

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon.com foot control pedal

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert