Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baileys_gw

PE Design 4.0

Baileys
18 years ago

I've purchased the full package of PE Design 4.0, but I can't get it to work. My computer (laptop) doesn't seem to recognize the security device (dongle). Does anyone had simulair kind of problems and how were they solved?

I've already downloaded and installed the patch for Windows XP.

Thanks for your reply.

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    18 years ago

Baileys, my version of PED is older (2.5) and doesn't require a dongle, but I have read where people have had problems with Windows Service Pack 2. You probably should call the dealer who sold you the software and ask them what to do.

Donna

• phalnellie
    18 years ago

Try looking on the website for patches to remedy your problems.

• suemili
    18 years ago

Hi Bailey's!
    You can not run PE Design 4 on Windows XP, I had version 4 and had to have a separate hard drive running Windows 98 just for the PE Design. You need to upgrade to at least Version 5 I believe to use Windows XP

• genietay
    18 years ago

I have Windows XP on my desktop computer and there's a patch on the Brother site for XP users. I didn't have any problems with it. I also had a laptop with Windows 98 that I used it on also with no problem.

When I recently purchased my new laptop (windows XP), I didn't even think to have a printer port installed when I had it built. It's networked with a wireless connection to my desktop and I use that printer. I did purchase a docking station, but couldn't get that to work either, so that was $100 down the drain.

My only option for the laptop was to upgrade to PE Design 6. This version works great and the additional features are well worth the price. I am so glad that I bit the bullet and upgraded. Got a great deal on Ebay and it was a new, unopened version.

• elainecalderwood
    18 years ago

PE design 4 works fine with windows xp once you have downloaded the patch from the Brother Web Site.

Elaine

• mrsjdjchef
    17 years ago

I have PE Design 4.0....how do I go from a .jpeg image to converting the image and being able to save it to the card so I can embroider?

• Laura_IA
    17 years ago

mrsjdjchef,
    You'll have to use the PE Design to digitize the .jpeg image, it can't be automatically converted. Or I guess it technically CAN in some cases but you won't be happy with the results. Have you started working through the PE Design manual? Digitizing has a steep learning curve and can take months if not years to get proficient at it. I'm still learning after 5 years and I've got a LONG way to go still LOL

There are lots of good tutorials out there that are much better than the manual that came with it. Check at the secretsof site, I believe they have a few for sale and every one I've got from them has been very helpful. I LOVE Carolyn Keber's Embird studio tutorial!

• beadinmommy
    17 years ago

Hi.
    I recently purchased a Brother pc-8500 with PE Design ver 4.0. I have Windows XP. I tried downloading the patches from the Brother website, but it still won't recognize the security device. ALSO - and this may actually be my problem - my port is female and so is the cable dongle device - so I bought an adapter and it still won't work.
    Any suggestions since you're now a couple years out from where I am???
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Baileys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PE Design 4.0 will never work with an adapter. You'll need to install a male port directly into your computer. I don't use PED 4.0 on my laptop, but on my Desk Top computer that has a male port. It works like a charm.

• beadinmommy
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for replying. It has been driving me CRAZY. So even though it's not good news necessarily, at least I know for certain what the problem is & I can deal with it.
    In the words of my 6 year old son - YOU ROCK!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor