Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyjackson_gw

Pricing of items

amyjackson
16 years ago

OK, I am about to sell a few things at a craft show at church. Problem is, I have NO idea how to price things. I am doing some kitchen towels, bath towels, baby fleece blankets, etc... with embroidery on them such as a name and a small graphic (usually 10,000 stitches or less).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to price the items? I would GREATLY appreciate your input!!!!

Comment (1)

• Vicki Pidgeon
    16 years ago

Amy,

When I embroider for a fee I charge $10. That does not include the cost of the garmet. This is for a name and simple design (close to 10,000 stitches). Each piece would take me close to 1 hour to complete. Anything less than $10 does not make my time worth it.

This is a bit copied from an article that can be found at Embroidery Librbray Projects. Go to Techniques $ Guides, then to "show all techniques" near the bottom go to "Making Money From Your Embroidery".

Here is a sampling of the info:

If you want to leap into the for-profit business world and see where it takes you, look at what other companies are doing. Pay close attention to what they are doing well, and even closer attention to what they are not doing well. Develop a pricing structure that is competitive, fair, and one that rewards you for your work.

Most commercial embroiderers charge between 30 cents and $1.50 for every thousand stitches. Now, I know that doesnt seem like a lot. If you are sewing a 6,000 stitch design, that fee is only between $1.80 and $9. Does that really cover the costs of stabilizer, thread, and time? How in the world do people make money in this business?

In a word: garments. Buy wholesale, sell retail. You can mark up t-shirts, sweatshirts and jackets from 100 to 200 percent, and your customer will still believe that she is getting more than her moneys worth. If you purchase in bulk, from the sale rack, or off-season, you can get some incredible deals on garments. Store them in a clean, dry area, and pray that theyll still be in fashion when you unpack them.

And I really liked this tip for all of us embroidery gift givers:

Even if you dont charge for your embroidery, let people know that while you enjoy creating gifts at no charge, a considerable amount of time and energy is used in the sewing room. One fellow embroiderer includes a handwritten card with all of her gifts to others, and on that card she shares the effort that went into creating the gift:

This shirt is given to you with love and friendship
    3 hours of sewing time
    14,000 stitches
    May you enjoy wearing it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Good luck with you craft sale!

Here is a link that might be useful: Embroidery Library Projects

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County