Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandaga

monogramming

sandaga
19 years ago

Hello,

I wonder if I could ask a question about monogramming and embroidery? Are these two terms interchangeable, so that if I read something about embroidery, they are talking about how to monogram as well? I know that there are machines now that say they do both, but are they talking about embroidery or monogramming? I guess what I'm trying to learn is, if I want to do machine monogramming, with or without a hoop, is this called 'embroidery' also? If I go to an embroidery forum, or see a class for embroidery, is this monogramming? TIA San

Comments (3)

• msmeow
    19 years ago

Many upper end sewing machines have several alphabets built in as decorative stitches, and sewing machines that do embroidery also usually have built in fonts. If you have a sewing machine that embroiders, you can purchase or digitize your own fonts for monogramming.

HTH!

• joansews4u
    19 years ago

I call monogramming a series if initials related to someone's name. Some monograms may have a frame or design of some sort by the initials. Everything else, I call embroidery whether it is by hand or machine. All has to be done on a taut surface whether it is actually hooped or attached to a hoop by another means such as a sticky stabilizer.

• stitchntime9
    19 years ago

You have yourself in the right direction. Before the invention of the embroidery machine, there was hand embroidery done on fabric in an embroidery hoop using various types of threads, yarns, and stitches.

One of those types of stitches is called a satin stitch that covers the area that is also used for lettering of different styles called monograms.

When the first zig zag machines came out, you could do satin stitch on the sewing machine by setting a narrow stitch length and various widths from narrow to wide and could also do lettering, no small task in those days. Some machines even had a monogramming attachment with letters that worked like a buttonhole attachment.

With technology came the electronic and computerized machines that have designs and lettering styles already programmed into the machines. I have a Kenmore 19365 that has that feature.

As stated above, the embroidery machines usually come with several styles of lettering you can use. You can also download alphabets from the internet to use, transferring those designs by a miriad of methods from computer to machine depending upon the machine manufacturer (more homework for you to research and read).

I am a hand embroiderer that has gone high tech to machine embroidery because these little nimble fingers are getting a bit less nimble with age and a lot of mileage.

The only thing that helped me with machine embroidery was computer experience when it came to machine operation and programming letters and features plus the fact that I have about 40 years experience sewing machine experience, 45 years embroidery and needlework experience (see mileage) and always learning more about sewing in general because of never ending technological updates.

Learning to sew can be a challenging task to learn whether it be hand or machine sewing. The key is doing your research homework, attending classes where you receive support and encouragement plus develop good sewing habits, with accurate, neat stitching that shows in the end product. Self-taught is the rough way to learn where you can easily become discouraged and develop bad sewing and safety habits not knowing any different.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County