Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Machine Embroidery - need software

Posted by maemaescreations (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 23:53

Hi, I just purchased a Brother 270D. I have PED Basic. I have downloaded many free designs but I need some software that will allow me to do monograms and resize designs. I am on a limited budget and was wondering what kind of recommendations you could make for inexpensive beginner software? I saw embroidery magic 2 on ebay for about $75.00 but I really don't know enough to make a decision. I am making girls clothing and want to be able to embroider designs on the items. I make about 20 outfits per month so I am not a super heavy machine user. Any advice appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Stacy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Machine Embroidery - need software

20 outfits a month???? That, in my book, is a heavy machine user. You go girl. You are a better woman than me. I looked at a resizing software for my Husqvarna and it was 300 so, 75 sounds good to me!!! I don't know about those though. Maybe do some more research. Check out patternreview.com
They give reviews for machines and such. Maybe you could do a post and request info on the software!!!
Good luck!!!
Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: pattern reviews

o

Look at Embird.

o

Ha Ha, Thanks Susan & islay :) I have combed these forums all morning and think Embroidery Magic is the way I am going to go for now. I found a free program that will convert the format for me so my total cost for now will be the $75.00. I am an El Cheapo, so that will be it for now! I guess if I deside to stick with the embroidery, I will upgrade. I just want to figure out what all this means before I actually spend a lot of money! ( I have been know to spend a fortune on worthless junk... hehe)
Thank You for your quick replies!!!
Stacy

o

HI all, Just wanted to let you know I just purchased Embroidery Magic 2 and the Small Fonts Pack together on ebay for $55 after shipping by making a best offer. Cheapest price I could find anywhere. His asking price was 69.99 + $5 for shipping.
Thanks to all!
Stacy

o

Stacy,

How did this work out for you? I need to digitize a .jpg file and create a .psw or similar for my Singer XL6000. It looks like Embroidery Magic will do this and then size the results. Have you had any luck doing something like this?

Thanks

o

Hi, I have only digitized one thing so far and it seemed to work just fine. I did have to work with it a bit to figure it out - for some reason I do not like reading directions... but I did figure it out on my own - And that is saying a lot for me. :) Good Luck to you!

o

I am currently using two free packages to digitize designs:

thredworks is a basic digitizer

EMBroidery TrueSizer can be used to put files in the correct format for your machine and to resize them.

o

I have an Babylock Ellegante II machine. I am just starting out with embroidery. Would the EM 2 software be a good choice for me to start with? What would you suggest?

o

You could try these free programs:
www.sophiesew.com
www.thredworks.com
www.madpunch.com

You can get the hang of digitizing using these free software programs. Madpunch compares to embird, if that's what you're geared towards.

I purchased EM2 and tutorial after trying thredworks and madpunch. EM2 also has a yahoo group which offers tips, files, and Aunty M is very helpful if you run into a problem.

Hope this helps,
Sondra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here