Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Have questions regarding machines?

Posted by paintmishap (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 20:59

Hello everyone!
I have been thinking for a while that I would like to buy an embroidery machine for monogramming. I often have it done for my children and it is so expensive. It seems to be a high demand item in my area. I was thinking about starting a little business to try and pay for my machine. Problem is I don't really know what to look for in a machine. I can sew and feel I am a pretty talented seamstress. I really just want a machine for embroidering names on backpacks, purses, pillowcases, diapers, things of this nature. I don't want to big of a machine but on the other hand I don't want to make a purchase and regret it and therefore wasting what I have spent. Any suggestions?
One other question. Why is it seemingly so expensive for monogramming? Is it the thread? Just trying to figure out if the whole process is worth it or should I just continue going to my local shop? I thought $38 for a 4 letter name 1 inch on two items is quiet pricey? Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Have questions regarding machines?

it's expensive in the shops because they use industrial machines loaded with all the colors that whip out anything super fast. home embroidery machines would let you do a very nice job but take into acct that the machine is just the start, then you have to invest in designs/alphabets, threads, the material to give heft to the fabric when you hoop it and depending on what you embroider: specialized hoops.

I have a sewing only machine and a sewing/embroidery machine that I keep set up always for embroidery because it's a drag to switch from one mode to another.

Babylock has a new machine where the embroidery/sewing switch is minimal and that is a really workable two in one machine. Does this help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here