Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steps for embroidering custom designs

Posted by randman1 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 04 at 19:20

Hi. It's me again. The visor covers I managed to sew together went over well at www.bonnevilleclub.com . So well in fact, other members have expressed interest in custom embroidery for their cars. I'm entertaining the idea of producing them myself rather than outsourcing as I had done with mine. But, I need some help in understanding the steps to embroider an original design on a home machine. Here is what I understand so far (feel free to correct me as I'm a beginner):

1) Create image. I've been told that the Club has full licensing from GM to reproduce authentic logos. I can scan these images or might be able to obtain an image file.

2) Digitize. I've seen software from $200 to $1000 to do this. I've also seen services that will digitize an image sent via email and returned in the format for the specific machine.

3) Download to memory card. I would need one of those magic boxes and a memory card to transfer the file from my PC to the card.

4) Plug in the memory card and embroider.

Am I close?

Here is a link that might be useful: The embroidered visors

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steps for embroidering custom designs

Yes, those are the essentials.

One caveat - the digitizing process has a long learning curve - it simply eats up tons of time in the beginning. If you enjoy fussy computer work it can be fun, if you don't it can be an incredibly frustrating waste of time.

Look for a sewing machine dealer near you, and see if they offer any digitizing classes. Maybe you can "stick a toe in" to see if this is the way you want to go.

Good luck with your decisions! And the visors look great!

Mary C

o

Looks like you have the process correct! Besides the learning curve, it's a LARGE cash investment. True digitizing software is expensive. I think most of the lower-cost programs only allow you to edit existing designs.

o

After much research, I decided to leave the digitizing and the embroidery to the pros. I managed to find a digitizer that does great work and charges $4/1000 stitches and an embroiderer who also does great work and charges $1/1000 stitches without any minimum quantities.

I have too much on my plate as it is and found I could not invest the time and money to do it myself. It works out better because I haven't seen a home machine that can do baseball style hats. That is one of the articles on which the embroidery will be done.

Thank you for the responses and support.

o

Great looking visors! Did you find matching fabric or did the visors come with a removable cover?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here