Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
munchkin_ca

Hand embroidery? Does anybody do it?

Munchkin_CA
19 years ago

Hello,

I am thinking about learning how to embroider by hand, just to embellish some of my daughter's outfits, and for some baby gifts. Does anyone do hand embroidery? Do you have any tips for a rank beginner?

Thanks,

Debbie

Comments (13)

• muddy_paws
    19 years ago

Debbie, greetings

There are more of us out here than you know...
    you may want to check out the Embroiderer's Guild. There are chapters all over the place. Membership is a bit rich for me currently, but I don't think that they charge for visiting.
    Here is the info for the one in SF.

San Francisco Chapter
    Location San Francisco, CA
    Meeting Time September thru June
    day meetings: third Tuesday at 10:00 AM
    evening meetings: second Monday at 7:30 PM
    December only: a single evening meeting, with a potluck dinner and handmade ornament exchange.
    Meeting Location
    day meetings: Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church, corner of 31st Avenue and Clement Street, San Francisco.
    evening meetings: St. John's Church of Christ, 501 Laguna Honda Boulevard, San Francisco.
    Contact the chapter Chapter president Christine Tanabe or Molly McLaughlin, VP Evenings

Hope this is helpfull.
    Sharon/Muddy_Paws

Here is a link that might be useful: additional CA chapters

• redpenny
    19 years ago

debbie, there are several books you can buy . First go to your local library and see if they have anything.Search the net.There is more information then enough you will have to do a little research.Some book may be simple to some may not be simple for you so you really have to look and sample.
    LoL

• redpenny
    19 years ago

here is a link with all types of how to stitches

Here is a link that might be useful: embroidery stitches

• redpenny
    19 years ago

embroidery classes on line or buy booklets

Here is a link that might be useful: embroidery classes

• msmeow
    19 years ago

Debbie - I LOVE to do hand embroidery! Especially candlewicking.

Do check the listed websites or your library for diagrams of different stitches. You can either use a design you trace onto the garment, or just start embroidering and make it up as you go! I think you'll love it!

• RocketGranny
    19 years ago

Hi Munchkin!
    Your question brings back some good memories. My grandmother taught me how to embroider when I was about 5-6 years old. I was so proud to have my very own hoop and cigar box with a few threads!

Anyhow, the way she started me out was doing straight lines. First, learn how to do the outline stitch in straight lines. Then, start making the stitch smaller and smaller, until you can follow a curved line.

Iron-on transfers are cheap ($1.50) or just pencil your own design. Good Luck.

• soapstar
    19 years ago

Debbie,
    Pick a stitch that you like. The chain stitch is a good one to start with.
    Teach that to yourself. Make a sampler. Embroider your daughters
    name or whatever until you master that one stitch and then pick
    another. Before you know it, you will have mastered many stitches.

• Shanaz
    19 years ago

Debbie,

I think you should visit the site of Wendy Schoen, she is one of the best teachers i have seen. She have classes and projects to do. I am really impress with her work.
    I hope you like it.
    http://www.wendyschoendesign.com/club/

Shanaz

• desert_gal_nv
    19 years ago

For learning how to make, embroider, embellish and smock your daughter's clothes you absolutely HAVE to have a look at "Australian Smocking and Embroidery". The instructions and the teaching aids in them are marvellous. You will be just amazed at how easy it is to make the most beautiful things.

My children are too old to wear these gorgeous garments anymore, but I still make for my baby nieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: australian smocking and embroidery

• User
    19 years ago

Yes, some of us still embroider by hand. One idea that I use: If I buy a garment that has a machine embroider on it but needs a different color added to match my wardrobe, I will hand embroider a leaf or something in the color I need. I've done this several times and it works.

• fleurlilac
    15 years ago

does anyone know who does hand embroidery in the Los Angeles area???

• Jitai
    15 years ago

I'm in the LA area, and I do hand embroidery, but rarely for money. Sometimes classmates will have me do something (sometimes quite complex!). It's very fun and quite simple; I learned in eighth grade; I'm nineteen now and I do it all the time. It's funny how so many people think of embroidery, knitting, sewing, etc by hand to be so old fashioned but I think it's relaxing and I often like the results better anyway. I usually just draw my own pattern in pencil and then go for it intuitively. If you need any help you can email me through the site; I don't mind at all and I have a digital camera & scanner if you need picture examples. :)

• sharmax_sbcglobal_net
    15 years ago

I started in elementary or junior high school. The easiest way may actually be to buy a very simple kit. They give you the exact colors and directions for every stitch. Then you have a basic beginning for what you want to try. I have to admit my mother helped a little, but after that I embroidered skirts, pants and all kinds of things. Good luck! I haven't done it for years and just started again with my own design a month ago.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES