Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand embroidery? Does anybody do it?

Posted by Munchkin_CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 04 at 17:20

Hello,

I am thinking about learning how to embroider by hand, just to embellish some of my daughter's outfits, and for some baby gifts. Does anyone do hand embroidery? Do you have any tips for a rank beginner?

Thanks,
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand embroidery? Does anybody do it?

Debbie, greetings

There are more of us out here than you know...
you may want to check out the Embroiderer's Guild. There are chapters all over the place. Membership is a bit rich for me currently, but I don't think that they charge for visiting.
Here is the info for the one in SF.

San Francisco Chapter
Location San Francisco, CA
Meeting Time September thru June
day meetings: third Tuesday at 10:00 AM
evening meetings: second Monday at 7:30 PM
December only: a single evening meeting, with a potluck dinner and handmade ornament exchange.
Meeting Location
day meetings: Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church, corner of 31st Avenue and Clement Street, San Francisco.
evening meetings: St. John's Church of Christ, 501 Laguna Honda Boulevard, San Francisco.
Contact the chapter Chapter president Christine Tanabe or Molly McLaughlin, VP Evenings

Hope this is helpfull.
Sharon/Muddy_Paws

Here is a link that might be useful: additional CA chapters

o

debbie, there are several books you can buy . First go to your local library and see if they have anything.Search the net.There is more information then enough you will have to do a little research.Some book may be simple to some may not be simple for you so you really have to look and sample.
LoL

o
RE: Hand embroidery

here is a link with all types of how to stitches

Here is a link that might be useful: embroidery stitches

o
RE: Hand embroidery classes

embroidery classes on line or buy booklets

Here is a link that might be useful: embroidery classes

o

Debbie - I LOVE to do hand embroidery! Especially candlewicking.

Do check the listed websites or your library for diagrams of different stitches. You can either use a design you trace onto the garment, or just start embroidering and make it up as you go! I think you'll love it!

o

Hi Munchkin!
Your question brings back some good memories. My grandmother taught me how to embroider when I was about 5-6 years old. I was so proud to have my very own hoop and cigar box with a few threads!

Anyhow, the way she started me out was doing straight lines. First, learn how to do the outline stitch in straight lines. Then, start making the stitch smaller and smaller, until you can follow a curved line.

Iron-on transfers are cheap ($1.50) or just pencil your own design. Good Luck.

o

Debbie,
Pick a stitch that you like. The chain stitch is a good one to start with.
Teach that to yourself. Make a sampler. Embroider your daughters
name or whatever until you master that one stitch and then pick
another. Before you know it, you will have mastered many stitches.

o

Debbie,

I think you should visit the site of Wendy Schoen, she is one of the best teachers i have seen. She have classes and projects to do. I am really impress with her work.
I hope you like it.
http://www.wendyschoendesign.com/club/

Shanaz

o

For learning how to make, embroider, embellish and smock your daughter's clothes you absolutely HAVE to have a look at "Australian Smocking and Embroidery". The instructions and the teaching aids in them are marvellous. You will be just amazed at how easy it is to make the most beautiful things.

My children are too old to wear these gorgeous garments anymore, but I still make for my baby nieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: australian smocking and embroidery

o

Yes, some of us still embroider by hand. One idea that I use: If I buy a garment that has a machine embroider on it but needs a different color added to match my wardrobe, I will hand embroider a leaf or something in the color I need. I've done this several times and it works.

o

does anyone know who does hand embroidery in the Los Angeles area???

o

I'm in the LA area, and I do hand embroidery, but rarely for money. Sometimes classmates will have me do something (sometimes quite complex!). It's very fun and quite simple; I learned in eighth grade; I'm nineteen now and I do it all the time. It's funny how so many people think of embroidery, knitting, sewing, etc by hand to be so old fashioned but I think it's relaxing and I often like the results better anyway. I usually just draw my own pattern in pencil and then go for it intuitively. If you need any help you can email me through the site; I don't mind at all and I have a digital camera & scanner if you need picture examples. :)

o

I started in elementary or junior high school. The easiest way may actually be to buy a very simple kit. They give you the exact colors and directions for every stitch. Then you have a basic beginning for what you want to try. I have to admit my mother helped a little, but after that I embroidered skirts, pants and all kinds of things. Good luck! I haven't done it for years and just started again with my own design a month ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here