Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mideb_gw

help me, please!!!

mideb
16 years ago

My hubby just conceded and bought me a new Brother Innov-'is 4000LTD!!! I have never machine embroidered before. I know ya'll know everything about this stuff, so...please advise as to what stabilizer, thread, software, etc. you prefer. I'm sure there are lots fo different preferences but that is what I want to hear. That way I will have recommendations to try without just blindly buying all this stuff. Frankly, there isn't much money left after buying the machine! :) what do yoa'll think of this machine? Hope I did the right thing! I believe I got a fairly good deal...it is a brand new machine but old model but he gave me the upgrade with it.

Thank you so much for any and all your advise!

debi@thebeach

Comments (3)

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Debi, I've had a Brother PC8500 for about 4 years now and I really like it! Didn't the dealer throw in PE Design (the software) with your machine? They usually do on the top of the line ones. If they didn't, ask them about it and maybe they will.

At this point since you're just starting, I would recommend Embird software if you don't get PE Design. It doesn't cost much for the basic program and you can use it to combine and edit designs and convert different file types. Every machine manufacturer uses their own software, so if you want to use, say, Viking designs, you'll have to convert them to PES format.

There is no "right" kind of stabilizer. The type of fabric and the type of design determine the type of stabilizer you need. I hope for the price of your machine you're getting some classes! They will be able to get you started. Taking classes & reading forums is the best way to learn.

Enjoy your new toy!

Donna

• Vicki Pidgeon
    16 years ago

Stabilizers are very important, a good design will not sew out well without proper stabilizer and hooping. You need different kinds of stabilizer for different materials.

I use Solvy a lot for topping on thick material like towels and sweatshirts; it keeps stitches on top so they don't "sink in". You can buy that by the yardage (keep it from drying out by storing in ziplock bag). You can also buy Solvy at JoAnnes (with coupon). It comes in different weights. I think the lightweight is best for most projects. I do have a roll of the heavy weight for a Lacy Christmas Bulb project, but wait on buying the heavy weight solvy.
    You also can get tear-a-way by the yardage; it's also very cheap. I buy it at my Janome dealership or at JoAnne Fabric. I do use spray adhesive with the tear-a-way. There are many brands, I started with Sulky KK 2000 (JoAnnes) for 12.99 (use coupon) so I still use it.
    I like Sulky brand Sticky+ (Joannes with coupon) for some projects like canvas bags, aprons, backpacks, sweatshirt sleeves, and some hard to hoop projects (not loopy towels as it will pull). This product is like contact paper. I hoop the paper as it comes, grid or sticky side up, then lightly use a pin to scratch around the inside of hoop, gently remove the paper covering the sticky side and then place your material (on flat surface) firmly press to attach. When done embroidering design, keep hoop closed gently remove project. This will leave you with a "cut-out" hole of your design. Then I patch the hole with a smaller piece of Sticky+, make sure everything it taunt in hoop and do another design. This came in handy when I put a dragonfly design on some quilt squares. You can do this about 5 times before you need a big piece again.
    It is best to use a soft, iron on stabilizer for t-shirts and sweat shirts. They may also need additional stabilizer with it. But when you iron-on (cut-off)first to material it will help keep it from stretching while it sews out.

I am told machines sometimes don't like some brands of thread. Find out what works before you buy a ton of it. Mine works fine with the cheaper Coats&Clark Emboidery thread at JoAnnes. I keep a list with me so I know what colors I have. I buy when it's 50% off.

Designs you can get many online for free. Look further on this site and you may find some lists or links to get started.
    I hope this helps a little bit!

• mideb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msmeow and vicki...thank you so much for your advice!!! My dealer DID NOT throw in the software...only the update that I need so that I can update to the Duetta. He told me he would throw in both softwares to bring it up to the Duetta, originally, and then the next day when I went back he said he couldn't do that. He only threw in the 1st update. Geesh! It was a hard deal to make. He did throw in the Pacesetter kit with 24 spools of thread. Nice, huh? :) Made me think I was stealing or something to the tune of $4,000. I am sure he made out quite well. It was priced better than the Babylock, Bernina, etc. and they appeared to do the same things. Even the buttons were in the same place on each machine. I personally am a Bernina gurl, but for $3,000 more I just couldn't justify it. Again, I hope I didn't miss something and buy the wrong machine. So far, it seems to be great. I will look into the software. I will definately go to JoAnn's and use those coupons. I did buy a spool of the Coat's and Clark embroidery thread and it seemed ok. Two random people I ran into at the store suggest the Sulky. Others say not to use the rayon, only the poly. As you suggested, I just wanna figure out which is best and start my "collection". Nothing like looking at all those beautiful thread colors. Of course, my dealer is pushing the Brother thread. Hum...
    Again thank you both so much!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!