Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stabilizer to use for tee shirts?

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 15:21

My son has five shirts that he wants to put his company logo on. Three of them are tee shirts and two are 100% polyester shirts.

Since I've never done embroidery on a tee shirt, I need advice on what stabilizer to use. From what I've been reading, it seems the way to go is sticky stabilizer that is tear away and don't hoop the fabric. Is that what you ladies do?

I need to read more in the manual about how to align the shirt so I make sure the design is straight. How do you ladies mark your tee shirts for a small embroidery design?

I have a Pfaff 2170. Do you hoop your tee shirts or not?

Thanks!

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stabilizer to use for tee shirts?

I have embroidered logos on several types of tees and prefer to use the stickie stabilizer. Personally, I like the wash away over the tear away, but depending on the weight of the material, both work well. If the material if a pique, or patterned and depending on the design, you may also need to add a lightweight stabilizer where you are stitching to keep the stitches from sinking into the material. Any way you go, the trick is to get the material tight but not to stretch it. Nancy's Notions, Embroider this, Embroidery Designs all have templates for "perfect" placement. I tend to just eyeball it and then cut out a patch to see if I like the placement. Depending on the size of the garment, you may have to fiddle with the templates. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

o

You need to use a cutaway on anything that stretches, like tee shirts. I like polymesh.

o

Great advice clt on the cutaway as you need to be so careful for ruining the design with tearaway. The polymesh is great, that is what I use on top some also. When doing children's T's, they complained of the scratchiness of the cutaway, which is why I went water soluable. But on some T's (very lightweight), the design "sunk" in too much, so I used a stabilizer on top also. Many of my rag T's are cutely decorated, as I use them for trials and experimentation, rather than ruining the final product. Great advice....I love this forum so far as you can learn so much!

o

Thanks, ladies, for your advice. I haven't bought the stabilizer yet..been busy painting a wall to put up a huge design board in my garage aka sewing room.

I will be checking out the polymesh...didn't know about it! My son said he was going to get the sticky stabilizer but I don't know if he has yet or not.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here