Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is everyone up to ?

Posted by dmsgal (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 11:17

Hi, I just got my Embroidery machine I would love to see what ya'll are making . Any suggestions for a newbie to start off with ? Thanks Mary in Va

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is everyone up to ?

Mary in VA,

Did you end up buying the Baby Lock Ellure? The first thing I did was to practice on some dish towels.

My lastest projects use the premade denem bags (3 pack at Michaels/Walmart, white or blue). I have 2 teen girls and they love them to use as purses and general carry-alls. They make great birthday gifts. I have made this for all ages. They make great Library bags, baby bags, bible study bags, etc.

I sometimes open up the seam to hoop it better if my design is bigger. I measure about 6' down from top and center on one side of bag. My 17 DD wanted a bag that said 'Free Hugs' with a picture of 2 bears hugging. I sew out the design on one side. Then sew up the seam again. Get 1/2 yard of cotton fabric, cut 2 rectangle pieces about 1 inch larger than the side deminsions say about 15' wide and 17 ' long. I make a pocket (about 5x6) with the leftover fabric. Sew pocket pieces together, turn to right sides, sew onto the right side of one piece of fabric about 6' up from bottom. Then sew the 2 sides together (right sides) and bottom of rectangle pieces. Fit into the bag to see if adjustment are needed. Then turn down top to fit inside bag. I usually insert a magnetic clasp at this point (to inserted fabric first). Then I sew the liner to the bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here