Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tatercakes_gw

Palette 5.0

tatercakes
17 years ago

Hello, I am so glad I found this very helpful forum. I have been reading all the questions today while researching infomation on which embroidery machine to buy. I have narrowed it down to a Brother pe-170 or 150. I would like a larger sewing field, but alas funds (my husband)make that impossible at this time. I am unsure of how much I will use it once I get it. Right now I think I will use it a lot, but as I can't see into the future, and would rather not hear "I told you so" I am opting for the lower cost. If I do use it a lot, then I will upgrade and can say "I told you so" :)

I do have a question if anyone can help. Does anyone know if the Palette software for the BabyLock will work on the Brother machines? Any help or advice would be great. Also a friend told me to becareful with what thread I use that some bleed. What is a good, but not to costly brand.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• msmeow
    17 years ago

I have a Brother sewing/embroidery machine, and it's always been my understanding that PE Design and Palette are interchangeable. They may have slight differences, but they both work in PES format.

You could contact a dealer in your area that sells Brother and/or Babylock and ask them to make sure.

Does Palette cost as much as PE Design? Last time I checked PE Design was running around $2000. Have you checked out any other software? There's a program called Embird that has basic editing functions and also has plug ins you can buy for fonts, digitizing, etc. The basic program costs around $100 - you can combine designs, delete sections, change colors, resize, stuff like that. The whole package with all the plug ins still costs WAY less than PE Design. You would also need a reader/writer box that's compatible with your machine. It comes with Palette & PE Design, but you'd have to get it separately with Embird.

I guess what I'm really saying is that if you are not planning to create and digitize your own designs (I've done a little bit of it and it takes a LOT of training and practice), you really only need editing software.

Have I totally confused you? I hope not!

Donna

• tatercakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Donna and no you have not confused me. I have the chance to by the Palette software rather cheaply but don't have an embroidery machine yet. Still trying to make up my mine, I am a photographer and know photoshop inside and out. I love programs like that. So the challange of making my own designs is right up my ally.

I have looked into the Embird program and if the chance at the Palette software doesn't work out then I just might go with it and an Ultimate box.

Again thanks for your help, I have really been enjoying this forum. Please feel free to check out my photo site,
    www.pbase.com/jmcd

Looking forward to learning more and making new friends here.

Jamie

• Laura_IA
    17 years ago

Embird also has a digitizing module that can be purchased along with the basic program for a total of about $250. I believe you can get a box for another $200 or so, so unless you can get the Palette for less than $450 or so I wouldn't do it. Actually, I wouldn't do it anyway, knowing what a great program Embird is and how often they upgrade the product at little to no cost for their customers. Plus, you can purchase the program in pieces as you are ready for them. I had the basic program for several month sbefore I felt ready to take on digitizing, and it's worked out really well for me.

I also own PE Design, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased Embird from the very beginning and saved myself a ton of money and a lot of time. Embird is a much easier program to learn, at least for me.

Good luck on your purchase and have fun embroidering!

• tatercakes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think that maybe I will do that. I saw some of the Embird add ons, and the cross stitch on looks fun. Thanks Laura for you help.

• BarbsFolly
    11 years ago

I am so pleased to have found this site. I use a Babylock Elegante embroidery machine and purchased Palette 6.0, about 5 or 6 years ago. I am finally stretching my wings a bit and have tried to use my Palette software without much luck! When I try to open Layout & Editing or Design Center, they will load up but then there is a quick flash showing something and then it is gone quickly. I'm sure it is something I am doing. If anyone has any advice I'd sure appreciate knowing anything you can help me with!

• dancingirl_gw
    11 years ago

Have you updated? Check Brother site for update for your program.
    Download the update..or download the entire program, after uninstalling your present one. It should contain drivers for cardwriter box also..it is connected & verified after you open/install the download. Remember you must connect the cdardwriter box ea time you start the program. That's how my PE Design works. Hope this helps you get started.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES