Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmkrzus

Removing Embroidery

mmkrzus
18 years ago

Hi! I have a question: my daughter was at a horse barn where she bought a jacket embroidered with that company's logo. We have since changed barns, and I would like to remove that embroidery and hand sew or machine satin stitch (I do not have an embroidery machine) another barn's name over it. I attempted to remove the embroidery, but it is nearly impossible, very tight. Any suggestions on the best way to re-embroider? SHOULD I remove the old embroidery no matter how long it takes? CAN I embroider over it? If so, how? Thank you. Marilyn

Comments (10)

• colleenny
    18 years ago

There is a little device that looks like an electric razor. It shaves off the stitches. I haven't been able to find the name of it, but I have seen it in sewing catalogs.

• dayenu
    18 years ago

peggy's stitch eraser is a highly price beard trimmer. buy an ordinary beard trimmer at walmart and trim the wrong side. eventually all the stitching will come off.

if the jacket was embroidered a while back the cloth underneath might be a brighter color.

• staasia
    18 years ago

I have not yet tried it but Wahl's Peanut was the clipper/trimmer that was recommended to me by embroidery people.
    Good Luck,
    Stasia

• grits10
    18 years ago

there's probably a fabric (stabilizer) on the back of the embroidery portion. cut the stitches from the backside with sharp exacto and use tweezers. yeh, time consuming but works. usually if you can grab the bobbin thread part it comes undone quickly. then using a damp press cloth, iron over the place where you need to re-embroider, pulling gently to realign the threads of the fabric.

print what you want to embroider on a piece of paper, computer fonts!!! using temp bonding to hold in place, put on jacket and satin stitch slowly. I do a straight stitch to stabilize and then satin over it. you will also probably need the stabilizer fabric on the back. then trim the paper away, wash and there it is.
    If you go with the patch, you can use the font printing/paper thing to design your new embroidery too.And I wouldn't think a patch would have to be nylon. A lot of nylon jackets have patches made of other fabrics.

And don't forget you will need a fine needle for working on nylon.

• fcved426
    7 years ago

How would you remove embroidered monograms from parson chairs. The fabric is not remivable.

• dancingirl_gw
    7 years ago

You might make an appliqué patch (your own mono or design,) and if you can't stitch it on by hand, there is permanent fabric glue.

• msmeow
    7 years ago

A seam ripper and a lot of care and patience. But you will probably still have holes or an impression left from the embroidery.

Donna

• gardnpondr
    6 years ago

Or you could do like I did and do a border around what you're wanting to put inside and do your lettering on the inside of it and then just hand whip stitch the patch per say over the emb. on the jacket. I bought a very nice old navy jacket at the thrift store for my hubby with someones name on it. I worked for awhile trying to get that out and finally decided WHAT am I doing? Just make a patch with his name on it with the border out of the same color the name is and then just use the same thread the border is to hand whip stitch it on with. Worked like a charm. Although I did do a test run to see how large I needed my name to be to cover the other up. Maybe you have a friend with a emb. machine that can do you something like this. ????

• PRO
    Embroideryviet
    6 years ago

It is best to remove.

It usually in my factoryhttp://www.embroideryviet.com

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm