Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The law and digitising?

Posted by sueswews (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 04 at 14:19

I was just wondering if it is against the law to digitise a company logo (trademarked), and proceed to put it onto an item of clothing to be sold.
I have noticed that a number of people are doing just that on ebay, and was wondeing whether it was illegal or not? After many hours trailing the internet I have had no luck in answering my question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The law and digitising?

If it's trademarked, and you don't own the trademark, then yes, it's illegal.

Unless, of course, the people who hired you to do the embroidery own the trademark and have given you express written consent to use it.

o
RE: The law and digitising?

Go to the US Patent and Trademark site, get yourself comfy, and start reading under how to submit a design or idea in the FAC section and expand your reading from there.

Digitizing, as in scanning or copying, someone elses design or copyright symbol without the owner's permission is a definite no-no, hired by the owning trademark company to ditigize their design or trademark, that's okay. If you buy a manufactured card and the design and machine spits out a copyright symbol with the design, that's okay, it's part of the design and licensing agreement for the card, just don't sell the design on mass produced items without permission from the card manufacurer or owner of the image you are using.

I guess you could say the safe thing to do is get permission to use the image or copyright first or see an attorney specializing in intellectual property to answer any further questions. If you have developed a design or idea you would like patent, copyright, or develop a trademark for your own company, the intell prop attorney is the person to consult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here