Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eringraphics

New User w/Viking Rose - on knit jersey shirt keep getting snags

eringraphics
19 years ago

I am trying to do a simple line embroidery on a 100% cotton jersey knit shirt (basically an undershirt.) The needle keeps pulling the bobbin thread up and through the shirt so you can see it in the stitch. What am I doing wrong? Should I make the width of the stich wider? Densitly less? HELP! I am at wits end.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• sherwood38
    19 years ago

What kind of needle are you using?
    Also are you using a solvy stabilizer ON TOP of the knit?

Pat

• eringraphics
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am using a jersey ball point needle (80) and sulky tear away stabilizer, however I have been putting this stabilizer on the back of the fabric. Should it go on top of the shirt?
    Thanks

• stitchntime9
    19 years ago

Reduce the top tension a bit and do a test sample on a scrap of something with the tearaway on the bottom. Sounds like the top tension is too tight.

Question: are you using the embroidery unit with a built in design, a downloaded free design, or a machine decorative or satin stitch?

• sherwood38
    19 years ago

I only use Schmetz needles and probably wouldn't use the ballpoint one for knits if I was doing an embroidery.

As for the stabilizer - when sewing on anything other than a woven I always was told to use the Solvy on top of the knit as well as the Tear Away under the knit..this stops the design from sinking and maybe disappearing into the knit, I use it on any t-shirt, sweatshirt etc. that I embroider - also if you embroider on towels.
    The Solvy can be the Heat Away or the Super Solvy water soluble - I alway pick up my stabilizers when notions are 1/2 price at JoAnn's so I have a variety for whatever project I am working on.

Pat

• JymmJ
    18 years ago

I have a Rose and used it for about 5 years now. I find that with thinner knit materials, I have better success with the upper tension lowered just a tad.

Sponsored