Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which embroidery software/hardware? reader/writer box ? HELP!

Posted by sew_clueless_emb2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 17:53

I have recently decided to start sewing again. Mind you I haven't sewn in 30 yrs. and that was on my Mother's cast iron Singer! Anywho, while I was shopping around for a machine (I loved all the new things they can do), I decided I would like to get a sewing/emb combo. I drive school bus so my income is very limited. I bought a Brother SE-350 because it was the "best" I could afford. My machine came with very basic pre programmed emb designs. I have used them successfully. I need help with the embroidery software/hardware aspect of the machine. I have read so many forums and have gone to hundreds of websites (literally). Now I am at the point my brain is clogged with too much info and not enough knowledge. I want to get a reader/writer box, the most inexpensive one I can find. Since I am "clueless" I thought from what I've read in the forums here, there are a lot of people here that have a clue (lucky for me!) My dream is to someday get the PEDISGN 7.0 so I can embroider photos of my (8 and counting!) grandchildren onto fabric. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which embroidery software/hardware? reader/writer box ? HELP!

I started out with a Brother PE-150 and bought PEDesign 3 on eBay. Since you've started with a Brother machine, too, stay with the Brother software. That being said, a couple of years ago I found Generations Digitizing software on eBay at an incredible price ($600 vs $1800 retail). I still use the PED 3, but only to write my Generations digitized designs to the card. Today I received the newest issue of Designs in Machine Embroidery. Inside is their latest software survey which compares not only digitizing software, but also editing software. Pick up a copy to study. I really like Generations; it is easy to learn by following the manual, there is a good user's group to learn more, and the features are incredible. And yes, you can digitize photos, too! I had my grandkids draw pictures that I digitized and put on t-shirts for them.

HTH,
Laurielu

o

Thank you for your reply. I will pick up that magazine today. Lord knows I need to study about this. I don't want anything too complex, hopefully then it costs less LOL.
I may have to wait until next years tax refund to get Generations. I keep looking on eBay and Craig's list to try and find a used reader/writer box. I'm so anxious to try something new with my machine since I already did the programmed designs!

o

Checking out for reader/writer box on ebay is worth but try on amazon also. Thing is you have decided 30 years after again sewing and emb... you have patience...I have put some videos here which may give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructional Embroidery Videos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here