Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepink_gw

How much do you think it costs you to embroider something?

ilovepink
19 years ago

I have a Bernina sewing machine and I think I can add the software to embroider. This would be great for me since i love to give sheets, and pillow cases with monograms.

I'm trying to figure out though, if it's worth it to upgrade to this feature.

How much is the hidden cost of thread? Is it a lot?

I had a jacket embroidered when I was getting married that said "Bride to Be" in pink thread and on one line. It was about two inches high and in a script text. It cost me 45 dollard to do that.

I also had a top sheet and two pillowcases embroidered with a monogram of MLM. That cost me $60.

I think I could do it cheaper. Am I wrong?

Comments (5)

• msmeow
    19 years ago

Hi, Pink - I am still fairly new to machine embroidery (only a year or so). I don't think the thread is that expensive, but the stabilizers are! And all the experts say that you should not scrimp on your stabilizers. Also, if you are embroidering on towels or something else with a texture, you have to put wash away stabilizer on the top, too, to keep the stitches from sinking into the fabric.

I really enjoy the embroidery I have done - my machine allows quite a bit of editing at the machine, and my latest "toy" is digitizing software so I can edit existing patterns and create my own!

HTH!

• redpenny
    19 years ago

Pink,
    depending on how often you intend to embroider items?
    The cost of stablizer are expensive and depending on the brand of embroidery thread you use can also be expensive.
    If this is something you are going to do a lot than it is worth the money.I do embroidery and I am always looking for sales to keep a stash of items I know I am going to need.
    Embroidery can be a expensive hobby but paying other to do the same for you can also cost because you are paying for their supplies and time.LOL

• stitchntime9
    19 years ago

In the long run, it will cost you less, not to mention you can expand your horizons with other designs and fonts. If you machine came with an embroidery unit and hoop, then you can do machine embroidery so you might have to spend some quality time with that machine feature.

What model Bernina do you have? People with your model machine can help you with the type of software you will need (might save you money there as the software is expensive and can't be returned once opened should you get the wrong software) or may have some tips and tricks to help with your projects.

The other things not mentioned are embroidery needles and different sized hoops. The needles aren't too bad, the hoops can get expensive.

At sewingworld.com, there is a whole section for machine embroidery and also a tab for Bernina in the machines section that might answer many of your questions...just be sure to give them your Bernina model number so you will get exact answers instead of helpful general comments.

• keepeminstitches
    19 years ago

Hey, Pink,

I have a Bernina, too. What model do you have? I absolutely LOVE mine (it's a 200) and upgraded to Designer software from Editor.

My favorite pricing story is a monogram I did for a neighbor and slight acquaintance. It was a monogram and the year on her quilt square. First one, she gave me a nightlight, which was nice. Second one, she gave me two Halloween cookies she baked. Third one, nothing. Next time I will charge her, just not sure how much. It's hard for me to be assertive (can you tell?).

Keepeminstitches

• jsm123
    15 years ago

I finally figured out it was cheaper just to buy the garments embroidered already with the big art and then I do the small personal touches on my own. It saves me a ton of money and time!

Here is a link that might be useful: allcustomwear