Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandora429

Embroidering on Diapers

pandora429
15 years ago

Does anyone know the correct way to embroider on a dsq Diaper? I am trying to personalize some for my grandson, and the thickness seems to be a problem for me? If I use a 2-6-2 or 4-6-4 is that too thick?

Also, do you need a stablizer on the top, and bottom of the diaper inside of the hoop??

Thanks so much for all of the help!!!

Comments (19)

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

I don't hoop diapers. I use a bottom stabilizer in the hoop & spray it with adhesive spray & stick the diaper to it. I am not sure what the numbers you gave means.

• pandora429
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PLEASE explain how not to hoop a diaper!!
    I am new to this diaper embroidery, have always used a sulky top, and cut away bottom. I dont how else to embroider without a hoop, how does it move if it is not in the hoop?????the numbers represent the thickness of the diaper,side, middle side 2/6/2 Do you use a prefold, or the gauze..Any help would be greatly appreciated, also do you use a sharp or ball point needle on diapers??

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I'm not joansews4u, but I will explain. Joan said - I use a bottom stabilizer in the hoop & spray it with adhesive spray & stick the diaper to it. So the diaper is stuck to the stabilizer which is in the hoop. So it moves with the hoop. I basically do the same thing, but I don't use adhesive spray. Instead I pin the diaper onto the bottom stabilizer, and then sew a basting stitch around the design before stitching the actual design.

Hope this explains it for you.

• pandora429
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So you would make sure that the diaper does NOT move within the hoop, correct? That helps the diaper from not moving, but my problem is that the hoop sometimes pops open, and once that happens, the design is ruined!! I was unsure what thickness is to thick to hoop, or where to put the design. I have some cute ones for my grandson, but almost everytime I try, the hoop pops open, or the threads gather at the bottom and the design eventually gets ruined from the hoop not moving. Someone told me that they do not hoop, so I was totally confused. I will try the adhesive so the diaper will not move, but is a DSQ(thicker diaper service quality) diaper to thick, and if so which one would you recommend? thanks for all of the help!!!

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with the DSQ diapers or what the numbers 2/6/2 mean. I've embroidered the Gerber diapers with no problems. If I am unsure if the item is too thick, I try sticking a regular needle in it. If it goes in and out easily then I think the machine needle will too.

Your hoop probably pops open because the item that you have hooped is too thick. That would be my guess.

I hope this helps.

• pandora429
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the help. I think I will try the Gerber ones too. Only one more small, and probably silly question to you, you do use both the top and the bottom of the hoop right???:~) Just making sure before I run into another mishap, it is so frustrating..I am somewhat a novice, only at it a year, my first passion is crocheting, and doing tee shirts and diapers, wow, wasnt ready for the challenge. Got the bibs down great, but these other two keep me at my machine for hours......thanks again, you have been a great help, wish i could help you out, but i am sure that there is nothing i can teach you....sorry

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

Yes, you use both top and bottom of the hoop. You hoop the bottom stabilizer like you would anything else and then attach the diaper securely to the stabilizer. I do this a lot when embroidering baby items.

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I just noticed what you said, wish i could help you out, but i am sure that there is nothing i can teach you. I have sooo much to learn. I have had my machine for several years, but don't use it very often. My sister is an expert, plus Jenni here at this forum has been a big help to me. I did have twins grandchildren born 3 years ago and got lots of experience with baby items. *S*

• pandora429
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maryann,
    would you please explain "hoop the bottom stablizer, then attach the diaper"?? Does this mean that you attach the bottom stablizer to the diaper, place in the hoop, then attach a top stablizer and then the top hoop??? Sorry if I sound confused, but to be honest I AM !!! I generally attach a stablizer to the underneath of a bib, then a solvy on top and hoop it with both hoops...I had to self teach myself. When I bought my machine 2 years ago, I was confident that I could learn anything, then to be honest, I became very discouraged when hoops began popping and I was ruining sooo many designs. I bought lots of scrap material and tested, all went well, but when the thickness issue came in I was at wits end. So, I am still trying to teach myself alot, and making some headway, and when I see these beautiful diapers with monograms and designs and try them, YIKES I have made so many dust rags, I cant begin to tell you..So any info is greatly appreciated, if you need any help in crochet, there I can help you...thanks so much for your patience and understanding...I know I sound like such a pain...You are so sweet to take your time to explain this, and I greatly appreciate it !!!

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

Hoop only the bottom stabilizer. Then spray it with adhesive spray & stick the diaper to top of it. Then do your design. I never use a top stabilizer on diapers.

• stashblaster
    15 years ago

Let me see if I can help. I hoop the stabilizer. I then spray (very lightly)the stabilizer with Sulky KK2000. I lay and center the diaper over the hooped stabilizer. Don't unhoop and add diaper. Some people will pin the diaper to the stabilizer. I use the fix or basting stitch to keep the diaper adhered. I then lay a water-solvable stabilizer on top.

There is a great tutorial of embroidering on towels with this method. The pictures were great. For the life of me, I can't find it. BUT, I did find another tutorial that is similar and shows how to do the hoopless technique.
    http://www.windstarembroidery.com/embroidery-information.cfm?File=Sticky

Hope this helps. Sometimes, you just need to see how it's being done.

Ellen

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

LOL Ellen! We were posting at the same time! Your tutorial was a great idea. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

I do use a top stabilizer when working with towels or anything terricloth.

• stashblaster
    15 years ago

:)

I know that many times I need to see things or hear things more than one way. Right now I'm working on my first sock monkey. I have the directions from the package plus an online tutorial up!

**I sequenced my directions wrong. I add the topping, then I sew the baste stitch.

• pjcarp
    15 years ago

New to this site was reading back a few days. How did your diapers come out? If I can help please email.

• pandora429
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, ladies, who do I pay???
    The tutorial was a terrific idea, now I understand no hooping...I cant say thank you ladies enough for all the help. I will now go out and get the Gerber diapers and some spray sticky stuff. I have cut away, and hopefully I will be able to embroider some diapers..I can tell you this after watching the tutorial, I know I have been doing things all wrong. Wish you fellow embroiders lived next door to me...I will keep you posted on the diapers..Again, many many thanks to all, I appreciate all of the wonderfull help and advice. Now to put it to work...:~)

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update pandora429. Hope you have great success with your diapers!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Pandora, here is another suggestion. Please do follow all the above suggestion. Instead of turning your learning experiences into dust cloths, use different areas of them to keep experimenting with. Then when there is no more room to experiment on them, turn them in to dust cloths.
    I do mine like the above suggestions, no hoop method.

Tami

• nanablue
    15 years ago

Another help to remove mistakes that are already embroidered. www.embroidery.com Go to: Projects & Video Gallery. Peanut Stitch Remover Video (view video details)
    Embroiderers need to remove unwanted stitches sometimes, and the WAHL Peanut Stitch Remover is the right tool for the job!
    In this video demonstration, we'll show you how the Peanut's powerful motor and sharp razor quickly clip the understitching and bobbin thread so stitches fall out easily!
    Find it online for less $ at Beauty Supply Stores.
    nanablue (o:

• maskeen
    15 years ago

visit me

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Sponsored