Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyg_gw

embroidery only machines

shelleyg
18 years ago

Hello, I live in Canada. I am looking for some embroidery only machine options... What is the best, cost, features etc.....I was originally looking at the upper end Brother, but as I already have a top of the line sewing machine, maybe an embroidery only machine is all I really need. Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• msmeow
    18 years ago

Shelley, I have a mid-line Brother PC8500 and it is fabulous! As far as I know, the e-only machines only have a 4 X 4 sewing field, and from all I've read on various forums, most ladies find out right quick that they wish they had a bigger field. I think WalMart carries the Brother e-only machine.

My PC8500 wasn't cheap, but it wasn't anywhere near the cost of the top of line machines. It's largest hoop is 6 X 8 (I think) and it has quite a few designs programmed into it. It also has about a million decorative stitches and alphabets in the regular sewing part of it. A couple of differences between it and the high-end machine (I assume you were looking at the Innovis) are that the PC8500 doesn't have a color screen, and you can't adjust the embroidery speed.

I don't know much about the e-only machines. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

What brand machine and model do you have now? Is there an embroidery attachment that goes to your machine you may not have fully utilized as yet?

• shelleyg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I now have a Brother PC6000 sewing machine. I am just having a hard time justifying spending 7500 on a machine...but they look like it would be so much fun..but I am really not a very experienced sewer,,,YET... I am thinkng maybe a middle of the road machine with something larger than a 4x4 hoop but maybe not as fancy as the top of line innovis.....I will check out the Brother middle of the line model, any other suggestions of other machines/models would be greatly appreciated.

• capricorn
    18 years ago

The Janome 300E and the Bernina Deco 330E have a sewing field of 5 x 7 and run about $1200.

Here is a link that might be useful: Janome 300E

• dayenu
    18 years ago

I also have the PC6000 so when I wanted an embroidery machine I got the Brother PE-150, some cards and a converter box. I am very happy with this. My embroidery is usually augmentation of sewing, linens, monograms etc, not cute characters on sweatshirts and NEVER any Disney.

Bought the machine on ebay (new and in box for) under $300

• joly
    18 years ago

I have a Janome 300E which does up to a 5.5 x 7.9 field and can also do a gigahoop with spliting designs. Love the machine very much and want a second one. They are running about $999 now or lower with some dealers. I love being able to use a flash card and I have a built in reader on my new computer. Very simple to use, the quality of the stitch is excellent and makes beautiful lace.
    I was told by a white dealer that they are coming out with a stand alone with a larger field for approx $1000 in July so I would bet Brother will too. Will be similar to the PE 150 - 180 and White 3300 but a larger field.

• chris45
    18 years ago

babylock makes one with a 4x4 hoop. my dealer was selling it for around $650 US.

i've attached the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: babylock

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner