Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Help with translation of "parade towel"?

Posted by mariannese (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 5:22

I am Swedish and I dabble in translation. I cannot find a good translation for the piece of often embroidered fabric that is hung on a towel-rail to hide kitchen towels in oldfashioned homes in Europe. The French call it a cache-tourchons, we Swedes call it a parade towel in literal translation. I collect these hangings and even have an American one, although it was embroidered by a German. It cost me 25 cents in an antique store in Madison, Wi, which led me to believe these things are not used in the US. The photo shows one of my latest finds in my kitchen. The style of the letters "Handdukar" (towels) shows that it was made some time between 1910 and 1920. Can you help with a good term?

Follow-Up Postings:

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here